Trailer/tow car

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Trailer/tow car

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Anybody in my corner of the country have access to a car/trailer combination that I could 'hire' if (IF!) I win a particular little car on eBay..... :?:

It's in N. Yorks and I'm in Essex. I can't bid seriously if I haven't factored this into the equation. I don't think I could contemplate winging it for that distance, sans MOT/Tax!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Phil if you book it in for a MOT local to you, you can drive it legally to and from your MOT testing station as long as its insured, correcty me if im wrong chaps?

Thats way if you get stopped your road legal.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

AFIK, I can't tax it without insurance and MOT and any insurance is invalid without Tax and MOT as far as I understand. But, seeing as you are a man in the trade, I'll double check. I don't know if the car'll be drivable anyway, but I have asked...

8)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The TRS has no mot and tax but as it was booked in for a MOT it was road legal to drive it to the testing station.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've just looked up the rules chaps, here goes:

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that does not have a current test certificate, except when:

Taking it to a test station for a test BOOKED IN ADVANCE

Bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the test to a place of repair

Taking it to or bringing it away from a place whereby the PREVIOUS ARANGEMENT repairs are to be, or have been made to remedy to defects for which the vehicle has failed.

Hope this helps.
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

A caviat to the previous is that:

even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it does not comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use.

That says to me as long as the tyres arent bald and the bodywork is hanging off!
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Yup so your ok Phil, you must get it booked in for a MOT locally though to be done on the same day as you collect it, and of course get it insured.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Come and pick me up and i'll drive the bugger for you!
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Anything with a citroen badge on it Ian and your a car whore! :D
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

ACTUALLY TIM....... you're wrong..... I WANT YOUR SD1 TOO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

AHEM!........(taken from general chat forum)....

Philip for years I`ve been hearing of a way you could drive it legally but I`ve never checked to see if it`s true. Basically, though I suppose I mean ALLEGEDLY, if you buy said car and book it in for an MOT somewhere near you it`s ok to drive it as long as you`re insured and as long as you drive it straight to the MOT centre.
Of course this means pre-booking the MOT with the reg number and make and model etc first and I would absolutely ensure this is watertight first. A quick word with your local traffic bobby should put you right as to the legalities of this.
If it is ok I can think of no better way of trying the car out than to run it back yourself, it`s great fun and you really get to know it too. A can of fuel, a bottle of water, some oil and your AA/RAC card and you`re laughing!

Smugly grins to himself........ :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sorry, Billy. I did read your posting. that's what got me thinking in the first place. I will find out from my insurers what the situation is, but as for Tax, there is no way to get it sans MOT...

I am speaking to someone in 'Traffic' tomorrow.

No reply from the seller yet, so don't even know if it's driveable.

What's it? you may ask... :wink:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I wonder! Like I say I reckon if you could get some proper answers toyour q`s about driveability you may be a step nearer. I`d happily take a shufty at it for you mate but it`s a bit far from me. Good luck though if you do decide to go for it.
One more thing have you priced up hiring a Transit with a towbar and a trailer?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

The only problem with booking it for a test is yorkshire to essex is not as the police term a local test station and you will fall foul of the law if you get stopped or pass through one of those new super duper roadside cameras or a vosa van as you cannot justify "it is going for its mot" over such a distance I would check this with the local police as you could end up being banned before you get home and a very large fine. :oops:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Transit and tow bar then... Or just pass up the opportunity and buy a runner next time - a GTi pref.

I need to think... I did check out those advertised over the channel and that got me thinking in a different direction :roll: :lol:

http://www.webmycar.com/zonecar/webacar ... Visa%20GTI