Daisy

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Daisy

Post by Kitch »

Sounds daft saying it, but that's been hit pretty hard! Like 30-40mph hard. Unless you were stationary with your foot on the brakes?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Glad you are OK. Even the towbar didn't save the rear, and it has saved a couple of mine in light rear ends. That must have been quite a shunt, much worse then my rear ended at about 10-12 mph by BMW one which wrote of the last one (at least temporarily). For once, I think I would actually claim for whiplash.... so you can recoup some of the cost of all that work on her. Must have been 25 mph+ at least. Still it looks like the crumple zones did their job, a good thing. I'd rather be hit like that as in front/back than sideways in a BX, and the fact you seem to be OK is great testimony to the guys who designed the shell.

Although the front looks rebuildable, I doubt the rear part of the shell is. It must have twisted and distorted too much. The fact the parcel shelf on my old one just tends to 'drop through' gives some idea of the twist from a recoverable!. Yours is far worse, unfortunately. Doubtless the Toyota was nearly unscathed? :twisted:
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

So sorry A-M. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Is this the one u needed the parts for? Another bites the dust...begs the question, why were you hit from behind? Was someone not payong attention? Hopefully you and yr passengers are all ok.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Once towing my racing dinghy back from Paignton on the A303 I had a wedding car pull out sharply right in front of me. Obviously I braked, but had to pretty hard. Unfortunately about 8 cars back someone was not paying attention and there was a multi car shunt ending up with the guy behind very nearly hitting the back of my boat. I think he just very lightly tapped the trailer board. I was OK, along with car and boat but there were seven bashed cars including a French one. I left them to sort insurance details. It was one of those things primarily caused by the wedding car pulling out when it should not have. Of course it was oblivious to the carnage. It is however the duty of the following car to keep clear, an impossible job if you are shunted. So 5 cars were rear and front shunted in that one incident!.

Main thing is the occupants are safe. Thank goodness, in this case, it seems so.
Daisy
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 19TGD 1991 "Daisy" RIP 21/7/2014
Citroen BX 19TGD 1990 "Myrtille "

Post by Daisy »

Than you all for your kind wishes - my daughter, myself, and the other motorists involved were not injured, apart from Helen's black eye which must have occurred when her bottle of water left her hand and hit her before ending up in the back after the impact.

We were in a stop/start long queue of traffic in a feeder lane onto the J13 slip road onto the M1, which is traffic light controlled. We were inching forwards slowly, so, yes, my foot was on the brake pedal as I slowed up to the van in front. Then we got a huge thump from behind, and slid into the rear of the van, taking out the front lights. The tailgate glass exploded, showering us with bits of glass.
After checking that my daughter was okay, I got out at the same time as the driver behind. - he said he was sorry, it was all his fault, he'd been looking at the traffic on the slip road, so he said!
Then I started screaming at him about my car, and he smiled and said he just taken delivery of a new car and his insurance would take care of everything.
Who knows what distracted him, but he sure as hell was doing more than 5-10mph that he told the traffic cop, as the rest of the queue was doing, to do so much damage to Daisy.

Tinkley, the Aventis was largely unscathed, a new radiator, grill and bonnet dents to be straightened out.
I hope he had to walk back to Spalding.

I didn't see it, but my daughter said his facial expression and attitude changed when he saw Andrew turn up to pick us up in another BX.
'90 19TGD 'Olympic Blue' "Myrtille"
'91 19TGD 'Alpine White' 28.02.91-21.07.14 "Daisy" R.I.P
Still on the road - Many thanks to Rob Moss at Chevronics, Hitchin, Herts
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Thats a mess AM , thanks for posting by the way.
Now comes the insurance wrangling.....................
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Daisy
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 19TGD 1991 "Daisy" RIP 21/7/2014
Citroen BX 19TGD 1990 "Myrtille "

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Jaba
If the worst comes to the worst, rather than accept a couple of hundred for scrap, I will try to have her salvaged and any usable parts removed and reused.

I'm hoping that all the welding work to shore her up structurally may save her.

Yes, Rutter, this is the car I bought bits from you for - do you still have a body shell for sale?
'90 19TGD 'Olympic Blue' "Myrtille"
'91 19TGD 'Alpine White' 28.02.91-21.07.14 "Daisy" R.I.P
Still on the road - Many thanks to Rob Moss at Chevronics, Hitchin, Herts
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

If it comes to the worse outcome, then Rob's photographic history of all the rebuild work should convince the insurance valuers of Daisy's true value.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thank you very much for the update and pictures. I am sure others would also verify, that the force to do so much damage to a BX is without doubt greater than 5-10mph. Certainly if you need a shot of my old car even though it was lightly damaged, rear light smashed, quater panel dented/distorted and r/bumper split you are welcome. Like Daisy, I had a towbar on and that definitely saved the car. Just to shatter the rear screen from load on tailgate is not insignificant. Having had a smashed one recently, I am glad no one was cut from the glass shards, it makes a hell of a mess.

The insurance will be tricky, I'd guess they will try anything betwen 3 and 6 hundred. Might depend upon the value you have/had her insured for. Third party fault, I don't see that being contested and you have witnesses.

Might be worth a call to Rob, he had a white diesel scrapper which he may still have. Not sure why ie body/engine etc.

Glad you were all OK, a black eye is minimal for a shunt like that. Quite a relief, especially after a shock like that.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As mentioned before Anne Marie If you need anything from me in my capacity in the CCC I will do my best to help.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Daisy wrote:Thanks Jaba
If the worst comes to the worst, rather than accept a couple of hundred for scrap, I will try to have her salvaged and any usable parts removed and reused.
Yes that's well worth doing. Get a settlement that includes you keeping your car for spares and/or repairing it. That is what many of us have done in a similar situation. Good luck though as you will probably need some perseverance and a sympathetic loss adjuster to get a good payout.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Do you have a classic insurance policy? With those, you can often get a good payout and retain salvage. I always try to get the car to my property in these instances as the huge cost of storage counts against the claim. A car can be written off just because it sat in a yard for a few weeks!

Definitely do not accept a few hundred quid. That car was worth far more, and his insurance should recognise that. They won't, but Tim with his CCC hat on should be able to help with an official view of the car's value.

I'm very glad and frankly astonished that you weren't injured in this. Says a lot about the effectiveness of crumple zones.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

First and foremost - very glad eveyone is ok.

The car is sadly quite a mess - the rear end looks way too distorted to be repaired. As Ian said - effectiveness of the crumple zones - freaking brilliant TBH - and I think they functioned properly because the shell was repaired properly by Rob Moss =D>

I think it's worth trying to get as much evidence - pictures from Rob / repair bills etc and trying to raise the profile with the insurers so you end up talking to the piano-player rather than the monkey: and use whatever services Tim can provide.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

...and I think they functioned properly because the shell was repaired properly by Rob Moss => That's a very good point you made there.