BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Gary
BXpert

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Gary »

Happy Birthday
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Thanks, I rather ignore them these days and hope they go away.

A lot of my mates popped in over the weekend. This included Mike with his BX, from Taunton. So naturally chat turned to BX. He has had them far longer and for many more driven miles than me. We discussed the struts as he had to get one. Seems Pleiades are the only source, and as cars in use drop, the turnover of units has dropped away from nigh on employing someone in rebuilding them full time, to having to pull someone off other work to find the stashed reconable units and service one up to standard for sale. Done his car is now floating again.

His car has had hard pipe conversion to most of the LHM return system. This has paid dividends in a far more reliable car, though several unions remain rubber, as there is no simple alternative. His particular issue is the front height adjuster drain. So I remain convinced that a simple set of bits found to resolve this part of the LHM system has to be a non original modification of merit. Mike was less convinced if a later reservoir could be substituted to loose the more complex octopus. But then if you are rejigging the thing the octopus can be trimmed back. If you have to have a joint it needs to be where you can get at it simply. So for testing an old Octopuss will do.

We agreed that we are coming to the point where it could be worth looking for the best shell available at a good price and building up rebuilt front cross member, two corners and a rear subframe assembly with new and recon parts, modify the LHM return to hard pipes, replace the fuel lines as most are rotting, Service the calipers and protect them, especially the rears, from ceasing and offset pad wear, and effectively build a recon chassis to put your known good engine in. This allows some upgrades to better spec as you like them. TZD interior, perhaps, moded dash and instruments. Such a car, looked after should offer quarter of a million miles while all the parts can be still got and a spare engine in the shed. The donar car can be put back together with the unwanted bits and punted on to someone else cheap as a resource. A commitment to be driving a BX for the next 10 to 15 years. Not sure about that yet.
Mike is not greatly interested in the GTI so no great excitement on that. He was more interested in the 1.4 and 1.6 Auto. His experience is that the carbs are not very good, which rather chimes with my feeling that it looks a bit of a bog up. He broke his 1.6 auto into his rusting diesel using the best of both it becoming a diesel. The 1.9 N/A just does a better job, in his opinion. Having failed to get mine on the road I cannot comment.

So a lot of hot air, plenty of cheese and a good weekend.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think I was lucky with the carb on the 14 I had, as it didn't have the issues many seem to have. I just hope I'm as lucky with the 4x4!

As for the pics of your collection some interesting motors there - always fancied a Hillman Imp for some reason, but doubt I'll get one now as prices are rising.

I've got a mate up near Wigton who used to run Bonds (among others) so I can have a word and see if he'd be interested in whatever you may be selling in future, although at the moment he's busy rebuilding a '34 Mochet Velocar (the pedal powered version, not motorised!)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Not much in the way of Bond stuff but bound to be some. Already found a fair amount of loose stuff I should sell off.

Gary has once again had a return pipe failure :evil:. I had to come back from Oxford with little steering help and waiting for no brakes. Yet to find what the problem is this time :roll: . There are only about three pipes that have not been changed now. If ever there was a car that wanted a week of full attention, to have resolved the issues it came with, it was this car. I have never had the chance to do this, from being busy elsewhere, or it being bibblically wet. So the week has probably been tripled by fixing things one at a time. I will just get the car right, and it will be time to sell in favour of Walt :? . This is really not the way to do it. Also frustrating as the basic car is very good and has years left in it, but I have not really had the pleasure of it not carrying an injury of some sort.
Anyway. No time to fix it at the moment, as I have a kitchen floor to do, 5 cars to prep for selling logistics and much else. Indeed I am becoming tempted to get rid of it, as I do not know when I will get round to doing the list of niggles that never seems to grow shorter. The Trooper on the other hand works with nary a whimper. I need to get the Messerschmitt working. Yet Gary is so good when it is working #-o .

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Just out of hospital after a seriously bad leg infection, leading to blood poisoning. No choice but to SORN Gary who awaits new rent, insurance - MOT soon. Inactive for probably a further 6 weeks. So buggers everything up royally.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Sorry to hear that TB, get better soon. At this rate you and 'Ripley' will require a BX ambulance... :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Did you manage to get your kitchen floor done? On the plus side, you succeeded with your house move before being laid low with this.

Best wishes for a full recovery.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Wondered where you'd got to - get well soon!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Wishing you a speedy recovery TB. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

What bad luck Al. Look after yourself and hope it all clears up and you get back to normal as quickly as is possible.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Thanks guys.

The downside of this latest infection is it proves I cannot do as much on cars and have to lay off crawling underneath them. So this means some projects in hand are going to be more than I can cope with and a bit of a sell off will have to happen. I am not used to purchasing labour, unless on jobs I do not fancy. So its will be hard to get my head round some of this, and the economics of which car makes best sense to keep alters. Also if I am not able to do so much heavy work the need for an Estate and the Trooper comes to mind. The Trooper is needed for towing and because I am in a rural location which will be unsupported in the winter. The only prob is the best TZD, Walt, needs the front axle subassembly changed, a fairly labour intensive job. Gary needs a clutch and a strut fitted which is ready. 70k miles V 118k miles, to be honest there is not much in that given a looked after XUD. Or I abandon both TZD and concentrate on getting the GTI valver, a car I have never owned before, going and stuff the extra fuel economy, I have not a high mileage lifestyle. Besides I have bought a Autobianchi Bianchina Cabriolet (Fiat 500 based alternative bodystyles) - (see you tube car chase at the end of the first Pink Panther film with David Niven and Richard Wagner in gorilla suits, yeah one of those little phutputters) for local running about and show work. This as I am not sure my weak leg will cope with the awkward driving position of a Schmitt, or its hard suspension. Anyway the thing is the GTI need not do the short runs for which it will be least suited. Choices, choices but more microcars going as I cannot do them or drive them really.

The 1.4E and 1.6 Auto will be advertised once I can get them clear to picture and with all pertinent bits. Both good cars with miles left in them.

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Its early days still to be making big decisions. I would wait until you know how impaired you will be after you have recovered and muscles have built up again.
I went through something similar once when I was restricted to sitting on the sofa for 3 months. It took another 6 months before I was back to normal. Very frustrating but you just have to find other, easier things to do to fill up the long days.

Decisions,decisions.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

At last some BX action here. The 1.4 is out of the garage and due to be cleaned and checked for all its bits. Found the split rad pipe. Should fix reasonably simply actually. Done I can let the car run up and find the LHM leak. Might be easy to resolve, might not. Puts it near a runner as little else is wrong.

1.6 fired up after reassembling the carb. It still refuses to pipe down on the auto choke as it should. It just suddenly reduces its revs as it gets to a certain temperature. Certainly runs smother than it was so half way and worth pulling the thing down. The existing choke issue is best resolved with a manual choke in my opinion. Again near all functions working so not much to be done to bring it to the market.

No move on Gary yet. Have to wait as other tasks need doing urgently.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Stopped doing BXs as interest in puddlejumpers has been expressed meaning some cleared space.

So I now have the Sach 50cc 3 speed Forshaga Shopper going with MOT looming. Selling on a deal that is probably worth all my BX stuff together. Strange when you think about usefulness, but the Shopper is both unique here, the only period import, and bonkers. Classic cars defy logic in values.

Also having sold Church Pod 2 kit, I have now sold Church Pod 3 kit. That means remove the experimented on bodyshell of Pod 1 and replacing it with a spare new set of panels I have with correct and colour coded wing piping seal. So Pod 1 becomes a far more appealing prospect, and the only running version of this short run kit car, available with a full registration. Pod 3 is a chassis set with the old body and doors from Pod 1, and cheap. For delivery I get to play for an afternoon on the only navigable bit of the Wilts and Berks canal down near Melksham. This in a Aquavan, a caravan that is also a boat. Of interest to me in general, but also because the northern end of the W & B runs not a mile from my house and an arm comes off it into my village. I toy with making an offer on the mile or so cut near the village as it could be a good bit of amenity land, free firewood, and a project to put into water, before it goes back to being a canal and right of way. Not an investment but a lifestyle choice.

An Invacar Mk12 E is to head off north of Manchester so that was given a scrub down yesterday and its inventory of parts completed.

But, hurrah, having got the hose out I did manage to give Pluto its promised wash. It is a good bodyshell with little rust, only minor paint dinks and two carpark dents. The interior has had a clean up, so while it is no prize valet, it is now suitable to advertise. I therefore looked through the spares to see if I had any specific parts for it. There is. So a new boxed Airfilter, 3 Leader style wheel trims (The suggestion is this car was a base level and had no trims, hence the fancy wheel nuts, bit like first generation base cars. I could not comment other than to say the inner clamping rings are still attached to the wheels.), its handbook and service wallet and of course the two new spheres already mentioned.
I have got a handle on the water leak so that is sorted. It now becomes possible to run the car up with LHM in to see where the leak/leaks is/are. Might be an easy fix. If so the car is not a long way from an MOT. Realistically I am too busy to get this resolved till into next week at least. So much for a quick sale from my end. Indeed it might well end up being advertised with the Miguel.

In sorting out various car bits I decided it was time to tidy up Invacar spares as they were getting in the way. That lead to a major tidy up throughout the property and a session on Freegle, which has seen the successful removal of unwanted Dining table and chairs, 3 piece suit, two old armchairs and a quantity of junk to the tip. On the slightly negative side I have gained some 3 sq m of firewood which I have to cut down and store, dumped outside the back door. But it was free for collection. Freegle, I am a convert.

So progress of a sort.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Good weather in the main has meant a lot of outside work over the last month or so. 38 trees down, huge bonfires, lots of firewood and much of the rear garden is now visible with a new fence. None of which helped any BX get touched.

But there has been rainy days and evenings. Then having finished on the Norsja I decided to slot in getting the Messerschmitt KR200 sorted to the road so it is usable and ready to sell. This was only ever a car found locally, and bought to flip, and help pay for an expensive hobby. Short of workshop space Andrew helped me get it up the step and through the French doors into the Kitchen. The joys of being single! Such is the simplicity of these cars that being a complete barn find, with my having loads of parts, a week has seen it done, save for running up the engine and driving to find defects (not in the Kitchen, its not big enough).
A completely differing value set to BX. it is worth a ridiculous amount of money, really, for what you get. Normally they sell themselves and get placed, as I know a lot of Micronauts, but sometimes it can take a while to find a buyer with the correct budget, as many people want a Schmitt who cannot actually afford them any longer. A great shame in a way as it has removed them from the grass roots, enthusiast, types that made for an interesting social scene and landed them with speculators only interested in money, not originality. Anyway I have finally secured the trade of the Larmar car for the three Borgwards. The Larmar has left, all 7ft 6 in by 2ft 8 in of it. These two Coupe and a Saloon arrive from America, probably, in April/May. So I need space and money to turn one Coupe round pretty quick and pass it on, and another into a driver for myself. I will worry about the saloon later. The Schmitt offers that cash injection.

So it is a pleasure to tell you that the BX 16 TRS Auto is to gain its electronic tax 'disc' and join the Trooper and Schmitt on the road. I have not fully resolved the inability to get the carburetor to tick over when warm. So a visit to a bud might be in order, as he has more experience with 'moderns' than I do, to understand what the additional crap round the carb is supposed to achieve. For the moment it will be on lane duty, until it proves reliable. A product of it passing that test will be that it will be advertised for sale, as I remain unenthusiastic about the joys of Automatic driving. But as a car in use anyone interested can have much more confidence in the car and I do not mind using it till it finds a new home.

So some shake down activity before selecting the next car to be sorted out. BX 14E?