BX Tech talk
greendale65
BXpert

screen wash

Post by greendale65 »

Hello all, Just my luck screen wash not working now
goes for mot Monday have done these in the past
just change the little pump on the water
bottle or is it something else any tips.
8) 8) #-o
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: screen wash

Post by Way2go »

You may find that the feed through the windscreen wiper centre boss has rusted and blocked, they do this. If you're careful you can repair by drilling this through (Remove bottom pipe connection first though).

However if the pump is not running, it may be something as simple as a fuse.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Usual sort of thing. First remove the feed stalk up the wiper and check it is clear. I usually pull the end stop out and run 2mm strimmer wire through it, whilst very gently unbending it slightly. Then either take a mouthful of water and squirt it into the tube whilst blocking the end or shoot some small nozzle device say washing up liquid bottle to do same thing. Poke any dirt out the feeding/spraying holes.

Operate squirter with wiper in up position ie not touching screen. If no water emerges, gently insert a fine wire ( I use a G string from a guitar) and rumage around. This in combination with operating the squirter will clear it. As W2G says a very fine drill can substitute for the wire. If you use a drill, just turn by hand not in an actual electric or hand held drill!.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Quite often its just the electrical connection to the pump motor. Just jiggle that a bit, bet it will work. Its the power to the base of the water contaner. Had this a lot on my n/a diesel.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You can by pass the washer spindle and feed the pipe directly to the spray bar on the wiper arm, Ive had a few Bx's like that including the estate.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....