Can they fail it on this?

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Can they fail it on this?

Post by BackinaBX »

It's almost MOT time for the beloved BX... I think I have got everything that it could fail on done, but I am worried about a light.

I don't have a dipped beam tell light on the dash. I've got a light bulb for side lights, and blue light for full beam... but no green one in between.

Do you think that will fail the MOT? It's just that getting in there to change a single pesky bulb is a right royal pain the posterior - well, two, at night I can't see the top of the rev counter... but I can live with that.

Thoughts...?
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Why not look it up in the Tester's manual

http://www.motuk.co.uk/welcome.htm
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'm not 100% convinced there is a sepaate bulb for this, but I could be wrong and don't have a dismantled dash to hand...

By the way, instrument panel access and removal has been well documented a number of times on several forums, and in my humble opinion, is a task the committed BXer should master sooner rather then later. Practice makes perfect....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Captain Slow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Captain Slow »

Doubt he would notice anyway.
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen BX Estate 19RD
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Thanks for the link to the MOT pages. Doesn't look like it's on the list, so I should be OK... best have that front wheel bearing checked out though... 'tis a bit grumbly.
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

its not a fail, as dash lights are only for the drivers benefit and dont effect the actual function of the car. So for much the same reason you dont need a speedo, you dont need a warning light to tell you the lights are on :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Vanny wrote:So for much the same reason you dont need a speedo,
Nearly right, but if I may so bold as to stick my tuppance in, A car must have a speedo fitted, it doesn't have to work though.
Buses do not have to have a speedo at all but if it does it must work, and if it's a tacho it must be calibrated every three years!
I have no idea why anyone would care about bus speedo's, just highlights the oddities within VOSA
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Tell tales for the indicators are a requirement as well
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

My dipped beam light is very intermittent. When it goes out a tap on the top of the dash sorts it out! I recon the bulb is slightly loose. Been for an MOT like that without probs. :D
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Come to think of it i dont think any of the Vauxhalls i've had have had beam indicators on the dash?? Vauxhall, YUK, wash your mouth out you filthy creature!! :D

Can somebody correct me?
Over and out from me
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

jonkw wrote:hmmm, Ok, well the 2cv does not have a tell tale dash bulb for dip, main, or the indicators, and they pass the MOT Ok (provided that everything else is in order).
Discuss.
I believe the wires are in the 2CV loom for the high beam and indicator warning lights .....it's just that they are'nt a legal requirement in the UK .....and the 2CV does have what can be [loosely :roll: ] termed as an audiable indicator warning [that assuming y' can hear it above the mighty roar of that 602cc engine :wink: ......and the wind noise from passing juggernauts,and milk floats,and cyclists :wink: .....etc]
Terry
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence