Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

UPDATE: Citroën ZX recent work.

It's cost a bit - and there's still work to do. But hopefully it'll be worth it. No appreciable rust in the body, which is good.

Oil services x 3
New tyres all round
New headlight units and improved bulbs
Headlight protectors
Fuel line
Front discs and pads
Front drop link
Front shock absorber
Gearbox oil change
Clutch
Clutch cable
Air filter
Number plates
Lucas CAV fuel pump
Rocker cover gasket
Camshaft oil seals
Crank oil seal
Cam belt
Water pump

Work lined up:
New front springs
New front brake flexes
Upgraded brake fluid
Front fogs
Induction (cone) kit
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Here we go....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

And about time too -)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So, only a couple of days to go, and I pick up (for better or for worse) the TZD Turbo from Wolverhampton and drive it back to Chelmsford with a small toolkit and a litre of LHM in my bag... I do hope it's OK and not a complete waste of time, because it seems a reasonable bet. Here's hoping. Phil Boxall's already lining up the pre-Challenge bits and pieces to add to it* (*I think, amongst other things, between us we must have six Hella lamps lol), as well as offering to do the rear bearings if necessary.

Only back from holiday 18 hours and I want to go back already; mind you only 10 months to go to the Challenge :)

Oh, and the Rover did OK... (not quite as comfortable as the XM was, but a very good cruiser; and 47 mpg on the way back too. Not bad.)

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Only back from holiday 18 hours and I want to go back already
If it's any consolation, I want to go back pretty much all the time. And your photos don't help!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have to say, the Rover was a superb tool for the job. Air con almost too good, economy stupidly good considering how bloomin' heavy it is, very quick - I swear it's 0-60 must be around the 9 sec mark and it just keeps pushing; 170 kph no probs - except the worry of speed traps! spacious (but not any better than a BX break), comfortable (but not XM comfortable).... and so on.

Ultimately what I need is an XM saloon with good cruise control and a decent stereo, an auto box, a frugal diesel dishing out about 160 bhp/285 torque... ah, so the 75 will have to do. Shame it doesn't have the XM's suspension.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

So a 'Cut and Shut' lengthening of the nice 'new' TZD should be perfection?......:lol:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

He he! Well, I gave it a second's consideration... maybe a little less than a second, and decided to keep the TZD as it is for now... assuming all goes well on Thursday and I get it back here OK.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Made it back OK. No worries about the car really - it managed the 160 mile charge back to Chelmsford with no hiccups and if it wasn't for an unbalanced wheel it felt great even at high speeds. (I have to confess wobble only manifested itself over 80)... This is the basis for a good BX and will be spoiled rotten. I had said I probably wouldn't get another BX; but never say never, eh?
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Glad it seems to be 'as described' by the vendor. Let us hope she gives you many miles of B__X pleasure...

Should be good for the '15 Challenge.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Took the opportunity of a break in the weather to give the TZD a bit more of a check and the news is pretty good.

Starting from the front end the bumper's all there bar an end car/blade and will come up a treat. The spotlights don't work and look their age, so it's probable we'll (when I say 'we' I mean me and Kermit) replace them with Hellas - complete with covers. Headlights are pretty new but I'll want to replace the indicators. The engine bay is ok and there's nothing untoward there; only a small bit if rust starting behind the LHM reservoir which I've now cleaned, treated and waxoyled. Under the water bottles is clear and rust free.

There's a new battery and the oil filters pretty recent. The air filter on the other hand was well dirty so I fitted a new one, although it'll eventually be replaced with a cone. The pump belt's new.

The car's going in next week for cambelt, seals, water pump etc as well as coolant flush and oil/filter change.

The accumulator sphere needs replacing I think and the spheres possibly need a regas. I'll wait for Dennis to give it all the once over... An LHM change might be a good idea. There's a small drip from a low pressure pipe repair; that'll get fixed. FDV is dry.

Generally I've found no rust to concern me. It's new MOT came with no advisories. The boot floor's fine as are the inner wings and pillar bases.

Other points: Exhaust looks old but works fine, the brakes work OK but I suspect new discs and pads all round might be needed at some point soon. the sunroof drain holes must be clogged as it's letting water into the driver's side rear passenger footwell. It's not looking like this has caused a major problem yet but the rain we've had recently hasn't helped.

General note: I am not restoring this to show standard and non-standard upgrades will find there way into it. But what I do want to do is have it performing well with typical BX reliability... And I might even replace the trims I have with black ones the same as I have on the ZX until I obtain alloys (if I go that route)....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Excellent news Phil. Glad you're back in a BX. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The work's begun. New cambelt, seals, (waterpump, tensioners fine), brakes checked - discs and pads good for 10k plus miles yet - plus drivers window mended - not long term fix but secure, bodywork in good shape. N/S strut top a bit rusty, but have a new replacement one - which will be done when the rear arm bearings are done as the system will be all depressurised for that. LHM so-so, and I'm considering a flush. Most other bits in good order considering. Sunroof drain tubes need clearing as have slight pond-thing going on behind the driver's seat, boot leaks too (might be related)... Front wiper washer doesn't work, but Kermit has plans to fit improved set up. Needs the tailgate repairing and new badges - (anyone got the generic Citroen badge available? I've got the BX TZD TURBO one), paint's a bit flat and there's some cosmetic tidying needed here and there, but essentially it's good.

Tyres and wheels - still having a think.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Needed a new battery - went for a calcium one 540 start up/60amp jobbie. Not the cheapest but should be absolutely fine for the winter and onwards...

I've decided steel wheels are what I want so will put the same trims as I've put on the ZX for now (I'll then have a spare set for the ZX when I 'upgrade' the BX's). As for tyres: My head tells me to go for either Continental Ecocontact 5 or Goodyear Duragrip; both tyres with excellent fuel efficiency ratings and good all-rounders. But my heart wants Michelin Energysavers ... Might have to go on price in which case the Goodyears have it...

Anyway, before rain stopped play I managed to at least clean the car, polish the bonnet (which is great now and suggests the rest of the paintowrk'll come up well) and get the front bumper tidied up...

List of jobs is still long-ish, but we'll get there. Oh, and can someone tell me if you can get reconditioning kits for front struts?

Phil

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Pretty car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....