BX back to origianl dealers to get some things for it!

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Most 16-valvers and GTi's had the temp gauge fitted as standard - as did the TZis I've seen. On anything else it wasn't standard (or even an option?). Anything on a diesel (even a late TZD turbo) is likely to be an after-fitment.

A senseless piece of penny-pinching from Monsieur Citroen!
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

To be fair I expect if you asked 100 diesel drivers what their temperature gauge should read 75% at that time would have had no idea or didn't monitor it regularly. In which case a warning light would be better - and 2, with one flashing and putting on the stop light may have been better.

GTi drivers may have been more involved - and a full dash sold cars

Has anyone had the overboost warning light come on?
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

No, it was never connected; plus ca change...
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I fitted a temp guage to my TGD which always ran at about 85c and i have now fitted the guage to my TZS Auto which runs at about 88-89c ish but i would not be without it as a peace of mind thing. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The overboost switch was connected on my 87 DTR turbo, not on the later one though, its not even there.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I mentioned the overboost light as like Stewart I have a sensor under the battery tray on my 89 DTR Turbo - and in all the posts I've read on forums I've never seen one on that light coming on!

Don't think I'd worry if it did- and in fact keep hoping it will!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Right. I saw the write up on the BXCLUB DIY section of the site, on how to fit an aftermarket temp guage. Thats what ive done, and it fits quite neatly to the left of the steering colum below the binnacle. The fan kicks in at 92 it seems, and lets it go to about 96 tops, but on the open road, im lucky if the temperature goes above 65 deg. Surely its the job of the thermostat to keep the temperature above 70 at least? Maybe I should renew it? As for the fan coming on at 92, I must have bought the higher kick in temp sender, so I will just install a second fan with a switch for those stuck in traffic moments I think.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like thermostat. I recall your car is a 1.6 - with the 171 engine? - if so Haynes states that the thermostat is fully open at 93 degrees, starts at 82 degrees.

The fan should cut in on 1st speed at 84 to 90 degrees and second at 90 to 96 degrees - so yours would seem to be within the limits of accuracy (just - but depends how accurate the gauge is - and as Citroen wiring is well known for voltage drops - confirmation with another thermometer may be re-assuring.

Quinton Hazell state that the correct thermostat is 82 degrees - so it would seem that they quote starting temperatures.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Umm; the temp sensor should be pretty accurate as its new, made by Tim guages, and looks very well built etc. One thing ive noticed is that after the car has been parked for some time, the guage reading is greater when you get back in to start the car- probably the lack of circulation of water to the radiator with engine off I should imagine. The first speed kicks in at 93 or so it seems, and I cant physically get the second speed to work as the first one stays on for 15 seconds or so then turns off again as though its done its job for a while. It is definately the first speed as I know what the fan sounds like on full speed. As far as I can see there is no situation where my second speed would kick in. Ive been sat in severe traffic today with the sun blazing down and the first speed has just kept the temp around 93, but as soon as im on the motorway at 70 odd, the temp goes right down to 60 within a few minutes at most. Ive only just spent out on a new sender so ill just install my spare fan in addition to the one thats on there and set it up on a switch for those heavy traffic moments. One thing I do know then, is that the water temp swith is swithcing too late, and I have a suspition that the thermostat is opening too soon and not letting the engine stay warm enough when cruizing along.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I fitted a TIM gauge to my BX - and it generally reads 60 and rises to 80 when hot - so I'm reminded of my physics teacher who always said that a meter was only as accurate as the person who calibrated it!

My view is that most car gauges (unless precision instruements and hence expensive) are best used for comparison purposes rather than absolute readings. What I mean is that you get to know where the pointer normally sits - and if it varies - you get worried!

Yes it sounds as though your thermostat has failed - they're not expensive and its good for the engine's general health (and for economy) if it functions correctly. With a sound thermostat you should feel a noticeably rapid heating of the top hose when the thermostat opens. It should not be very warm before it does.

On my TD BX the gauge pickup in in the cylinder head close to the thermostat - and the fan switch is in the cold end of the radiator - physicaly about 5 feet in terms of water circulation. As its on the off side of the car its at the cold end of the radiator (which is correct design) but it does mean that the temperature there will be lower than it is at the gauge.

To put it another way the gauge measures the water temperature as it leaves the engine. the water then passes through an efficient cooling device before being measured again at the foot of the radiator - and so I would expect the water to be cooler there.

To test the second speed it may be necessary to cover the radiator with cardboard or something to restrict the airflow through it.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks Jeremy that all makes a lot of sense. So the temp sensor is probably the right one and when it switces the low speed setting on, 93 at the thermo housing is probably about 82 or so at the sensor for the fans. The switches high speed setting will almost certainly work as its new, and I know the rest of the cirtcuit is fine as when I bridge the connectors on the wiring connector, both settings work. I dont want to risk testing the second setting- before I installed all the new sensors and so on, I had the fan on permenantly, but once, this failed and I was unaware- the red lamp of death came on on the dash, but fortunately it wasnt death that time! :shock: Illl get a new thermostat first, and test the temp sensor in boiling water for the second setting.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Overboost indicators - if Revue Technique is to be believed, they were fitted to the very earliest Turbodiesels, then deleted.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.