rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Wheel bearing gone? T/d

Post by rutter123 »

There is a definitive rumbling noise coming up through the chassis, moreso when turning left even the slightest bit, would this mean o/s/f bearing is shot? Have had it up on jacks but there is no insignificant play/movement in either side, think it may be a case of pulling the driveshafts from hub carriers and checking them that way.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
David
BXpert

Re: Wheel bearing gone? T/d

Post by David »

Its possible the wheel bearing(s) have gone noisy without getting play in them yet. I saw this on a transit van about a month ago.

If you think its coming from the right side, it could even be the drive shaft bearing.

If you remove the drive shaft(s), then you'll be able to check the hubs & the shafts for any abnormal noise/ movement.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you dont usually find play in a front wheel drive front wheel bearing, as its held together by the CV joint and hub nut,

i usually test which bearing is noisy by jacking just one of the front wheels of the ground ( car on normal ride height ),
then start the engine, hand brake off ( you can also chock the rear wheels ) put it in first gear and gently let the clutch out, so it spins the wheel which is off the ground,

then try it with the other wheel on the ground,

YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS

MIND YOU HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE FRONT AND REAR OF THE CAR

the way the diff works the wheel on the ground will not run at all

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I tried this theory this morning with 1 wheel up, but heard nothing significant, then broke my bar undoing the driveshaft nut...so that put an end to that, til monday.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

On the same subject, I have had a slight off centric whine, so whoa, whoa, whoa at about 40mph and up. it is not gear specific. The intermediate bearing is 8k old, the CV joints were all regreased and new boots. A wheel bearing is the most likely culprit. Normally the front ones seem to load up on corners and let you know which side. This is not happening and the noise is in a straight line. Do the rear bearings tend to lead to this type of noise?

Pretty sure it is not the final drive/gearbox bearings (though could be) as box has 8k old BV correct Total gearbox oil, and new seals, with no leak.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

rutter123 wrote:I tried this theory this morning with 1 wheel up, but heard nothing significant,
try the other side then #-o :) :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

As for breaking the socket ratchet bar, I'm afraid I did this a while back with my trusty old Kamasa one. It was replaced by a Draper Professional one, which did manage the drive shaft (35mm) nuts with 2 meter scaffold slipped over it. Note the 'Professional' bit as these are the much better quality end of the Draper range, the ordinary one would not be up to this kind of challenge!

Of course if you have a 'Snap off' or Facom and that is fubar'd......
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote:As for breaking the socket ratchet bar, I'm afraid I did this a while back with my trusty old Kamasa one. It was replaced by a Draper Professional one, which did manage the drive shaft (35mm) nuts with 2 meter scaffold slipped over it. Note the 'Professional' bit as these are the much better quality end of the Draper range, the ordinary one would not be up to this kind of challenge!

Of course if you have a 'Snap off' or Facom and that is fubar'd......
if you bounce on these two foot knuckle bars, they will almost certainly break/shear,

i used to share my previous workshop with a friend, he employed a guy and every time he borrowed my knuckle bar he would break/shear it off,

and that was just on wheel bolts,
i watched him one day and he was bouncing on it,

you need steady continuous pressure on these, even with a four foot scaffold tube which is what i use on my knuckle bar for undoing hub nuts

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Have now got trrough 3 of these knuckle joints undoing d/s nuts, prob best ti invest in a 3/4 drive 39 inch bar, its costing me £10 every time otherwise. Not sure the 1/2 drive bar is up to the job.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Definitely go for a 3/4 bar. Much sturdier.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

citronut wrote:
you need steady continuous pressure on these, even with a four foot scaffold tube which is what i use on my knuckle bar for undoing hub nuts

regards malcolm
Totally agree, as I usually gently increase the pressure with the lever arm, and it will release. The Kamasa only 'nicked' the internal ratchet drive, enough that it will slip when too much torque is applied.
The Draper to it's credit has held up even though only 1/2" drive. For smaller stuff the 1/4" Bahco set has been excellent.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Wheel bearing noise is not difficult to diagnose. Sometimes it comes and goes as the suspension goes up and down with the road undulations while straight lining. But they will always complain when loaded while cornering. Often it will be undetectable as far as finding any play or roughness while rotating a jacked up wheel.
I have found the quality of front wheel bearings to be poor these days and have replaced at least five in the last few years.

I no longer buy unknown brands as I have been caught out too many times with early failures. Caveat emptor......
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote:
The Kamasa only 'nicked' the internal ratchet drive,
ratchet in a knuckle bar ????? :? :wink:

non on the type i use

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Jaba wrote:Wheel bearing noise is not difficult to diagnose. Sometimes it comes and goes as the suspension goes up and down with the road undulations while straight lining. But they will always complain when loaded while cornering. Often it will be undetectable as far as finding any play or roughness while rotating a jacked up wheel.
I have found the quality of front wheel bearings to be poor these days and have replaced at least five in the last few years.

I no longer buy unknown brands as I have been caught out too many times with early failures. Caveat emptor......
When I have had front wheel bearings go, they always make a rumbling when loaded up on a corner. this current noise is noticeable in a straight line and whiny not rumbling. Possibly the newish intermediate bearing (though a good quality one) or final drive. I don't know what a rear wheel bearing sounds like when failing, so it could be one of these. Obviously they do not load up quite the same as the front ones. I do not hear the noise sub 40 mph.

Like you Jaba, I have been victim of the 'cheap' wheel bearing, so only trust the better brands.

Well, Malcolm, I'm not sure where I last saw my knuckle bar, but it is so short, the ratchet is longer!. :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote: Well, Malcolm, I'm not sure where I last saw my knuckle bar, but it is so short, the ratchet is longer!. :wink:
:twisted: #-o :-" :rofl: :rofl:
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have