TXD Turbo that likes to leave coolant puddles

BX Tech talk
ost8900

TXD Turbo that likes to leave coolant puddles

Post by ost8900 »

I've just got my first BX, a 1992 TXD 1.7 Turbo, all was fine for the first 300ish miles, but after a long trip, It's developed a huge and worrying coolant leak. The pipes from the Oil Cooler to the radiator and Thermostat housing had both perished and had large cracks along their length, as well as a hole in the pipe from the radiator at the oil cooler, where there was a large amount of water getting out, I've had a garage take a look at it, and they've replaced the oil cooler to radiator hose, as instructed, but were muttering something about obsolete parts for the oil cooler-thermostat housing hose, and that it didn't need replacing as it wasn't leaking anyway. I got it all of about 3 miles before the coolant light came back, and found the other hose and possibly the oil cooler leaking. I'm wondering what the best course of action would be in replacing the other hose, I've found a hose for the XUD9 Here, but I'm not sure it'll fit. Also, any idea where an oil cooler could be sourced from if needed?

Thanks
K reg BX 17TD TXD on loan from boxwolf
Mothman

Re: TXD Turbo that likes to leave coolant puddles

Post by Mothman »

Welcome to the club bud, sorry to hear you have problems.
You could try Rob Moss at the Chevronic Centre on 01462455280 as i know he is breaking a turbo D at the moment and might have the pipes you want. OK. they will be old but at least they will do until you can fit some new ones.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

service citroen show this part No. 1307 J5 as still available and fits all the below engines

DIESEL FUEL AND 1,769L AND TURBO EXCH SINCE RPO 05638
DIESEL FUEL AND 1,769L AND TURBO UNTIL RPO 05637
DIESEL FUEL AND 1,769L AND 1,905L SINCE RPO 03796
DIESEL FUEL AND 1,905L

DIAM INT 14,2X15,2,

here is price and part No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00001307J5 WTR OUTLET HOSE 10.19 GBP 12.23 GBP 12.23 GBP

with the oil cooler it shows two part No.'s

ENGINE OIL-WATER DISTRIB CHAMB
1103 A9
EP=56,6

1103 C9
EP=47,6
SINCE RPO 05472

and if you have deep pockets here is price and part No.'s

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00001103A9 DISTRIB CHAMBER 194.34 GBP 233.21 GBP 233.21 GBP

00001103C9 DISTRIB CHAMBER 135.03 GBP 162.04 GBP 162.04 GBP

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ost8900

Post by ost8900 »

Thanks for the replies, but isn't service citroen now limited to commercial users, correct me if I'm wrong? How would I go about buying the part direct from Citroen?
I've also considered buying a 3rd party length of silicone pipe that's coolant system spec, so it'd be okay in terms of temp and pressure, although it does feel a bit wrong in some ways.

If I can get the hoses sorted soon I can gauge whether the oil cooler is also at fault, and would need replacing, but I think that'd be a second hand or reconditioned part, not sure I could stretch to a brand new original...
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

If you know the part no if the item you want, just ring up a main dealer, ask for their parts dept and quote the number to them. If its available they will get it for you. Simples.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

ost8900 wrote: but isn't service citroen now limited to commercial users,
no not at all,
quite some time back i had problems logging into my pug service box account, so i contacted PSA Coventry, there switchboard put me through to there head of IT,
he sorted my login problem, then i spoke to him regarding issues members of the FCF ( french car forum ) were having regarding registering on S/C, saying they require a VAT No. ,

PSA's IT man said they have no problems at all with the general public using there service, as all registered users except Citroen dealers are can use the free services ( parts look up ) for free, and pay for the tech services,

i use the site and as a Motor trade repair professional
e.g.: Independent repairers, ..",

i am not VAT registered either

but you can register as a " Private customer "

ost8900 wrote: correct me if I'm wrong? How would I go about buying the part direct from Citroen?
all bweing the above hose/details match your car,
just call your citroen dealer and ask them to get you 1307J5, as i said above it is still showing as available from citroen,
ost8900 wrote: If I can get the hoses sorted soon I can gauge whether the oil cooler is also at fault,
if the oil cooler were just leaking externaly, there should be no reason why either an automotive rad reconditioner, could not just re/solder the joints or solder a patch onro it if it is holed,

if it had failed internally you will have oil and water coming together

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ost8900

Post by ost8900 »

Ordered the part from the Citroën main dealer an hour ago, will fit tomorrow or Friday and see how it goes.