BE3 Gearbox

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

BE3 Gearbox

Post by Widgit »

I wonder if anyone has a BE3 gearbox, 5 speed for a 1.7 Turbo D.

I hope you may be able to help as we now have two BX's in the family.

The missus drives a 1.7 n/a Hatch :D and I have nearly ironed out all the bugs with my 1.7 Turbo Estate so here's hoping someone can help.

Tim.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What's the problem with your box? If its change quality - have you greased/oiled the linkage and checked its adjustment?
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Jeremy,

I am 99 % certain the diff bearings are failing. There is a whining noise even when in neutral which increases when in gear so I don't feel there is a drive shaft issue as the noise is apparant when stationary. The change quality is slightly clunky but that is similar to our other BX so although that is not ideal it won't contribute to the noise when at rest. I am tempted to strip the box but I have limited time available so think another box is the quickest solution.

Tim.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Diff bearings don't whine in neutral. Must be the input shaft bearings. If you find a box, I'll buy the old one for a rebuild.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Sounds to me as though the clutch release bearing is the problem. When in gear with the car at standstill all the gearbox will be stopped - so the only bit left is the clutch release bearing.

Probably just as well to make sure that this really is the problem - and not something like cambelt support rollers or waterpumpm - which could wreck your engine.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Widgit wrote:I am 99 % certain the diff bearings are failing. There is a whining noise even when in neutral which increases when in gear.
tom wrote:Diff bearings don't whine in neutral.
They do if the vehicle is still moving.

I'm assuming here that there's a whining noise that increases with speed, and is there (less so) even if you knock the gearbox into neutral. That would indeed be Diff bearings, or gearbox output shaft bearings (unlikely).

BE3's for TD engines can be had from all manner of PSA cars, Like 405's, Xantia's, 309's etc. if it's a box from anything other than a BX is used, then you'll probably have to change the gear change levers over, but that's fairy easy with the box on the ground.
this might be a signature