BX Air

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

BX Air

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Got my BX's a/c regassed yesterday - it had had UV dye in it and we found it was leaking at the 'O' rings (I think!) at the bulkhead. These have been replaced... and now it works an absolute treat again! Needs regassing about once every 14 months - I'll see if the replacements make any difference.

In the meantime it'll bring it down from an indicated 49 degrees inside to a more comfortable 25 in under 15 mins of urban driving... I wouldn't have a (daily driving) car without a/c in the summer, I must say. It'll keep going too. It'll easily get down to under 18 even if it's 30 outside, as I found in France a couple of years back.

The BX really does seem to have a pretty good system by the standards of the day.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Seconded!

Mine is blowing cold within 30 seconds of start up. I tend to keep the fans on recircle and the blower on full around town but on a fast A road or motorway, I switch the blower and recircle off and let the ram effect blow the cold air in. I have heard that keeping the system in non recircle makes it ice up, our man on the other side of the planet will be able to confirm 8)
This current hot spell is a good test and i'm well please with the cooling. I've also found if I keep the sun roof blind shut the interior stays cooler. Obvious I know but .............
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And the parcel-shelf blinds up too :D

As for preferred setting: recirc and the blower on full with the vents set for upper - with occasional switch to foot wells if wearing socks! :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Only BX i ever had with aircon was a Black 16v F500 MOD, when i got the car the prev owner had fitted new everything virtually and it worked amazingly well.

My 85 CX pallas ie had very good aircon.
Tested it quite extensively in france in 2000. As you say citroen seemed quite good at aircon systems before a lot of others.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

been baking to death intown traffic today, realising that if im holidaying in fance and this weather keeps up, then i really must get the aircon out of the garage and intot he car!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

You guys might get away for a while using fresh air intake as you don't seem to get the humidity we get (nor the temperature extremes either for that matter) because we've found that in summer I can lose all temperature within 2 to 3 minutes mainly due to the extremely cold coil temp and as a result the moisture in the air almost immediately turns to a block of ice and cuts off circulation.
Strangely, the Cits with by far the worst air/con that we've ever seen would have to be the CX. I only ever had one that "kinda" worked and that was immediately after I bought it. Went down the shop, let the missus out and left the car idling with air con on and within a couple of minutes there was a loud bang followed by a ball of oil vapour as it blew out the high pressure hose under the car.
They were so bad that they ran a rear coil as well as a front and had the condensor from the factory replaced by one with about 2 1/2 times the volume and still couldn't hack it. They told a strange tale on the gauges and whilst it was possible to make them work in a fashion, the load they placed on the system brought the fuel consumption back to below 10MPG on a summers day, making the purchase of a car with decent air con a more viable option.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

AlanS wrote:You guys might get away for a while using fresh air intake as you don't seem to get the humidity we get (nor the temperature extremes either for that matter) because we've found that in summer I can lose all temperature within 2 to 3 minutes mainly due to the extremely cold coil temp and as a result the moisture in the air almost immediately turns to a block of ice and cuts off circulation.
Alan S
I've run mine for hours on fresh air intake without a problem so it must the humidity over there.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

To give you a comparison, my front gate is 730 metres to the main road (don't ask how I know, it's a bit complicated) but from my gate to the top of the street, any of my BXs will go from start to cold to back to ambient in that distance.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.