Bx register?

Anything about BXs
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Bx register?

Post by themildbunch »

Vanny wrote:... but i'm not willing to put 'live' cars into a public work sheet.
That's a really good point even though I put my details in I don't like the idea of it being a public document for too long... At the least couldn't a username / password be emailed from the forum so it's only available to registered members?
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fair point.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

That is indeed a fair point. The plan was to make it open access for a limited period and then make it accessible only to the registrar/s. Although, there's no reason why any club member couldn't be given access, on request, if they wanted it. I'll have a word with Sandre about when the open access period should end and details for acquiring secure access to bona-fide club members.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

^ Not gonna happen that way. To be useful, the register should be viewable by anyone. To be secure, some information will be hidden from all but a trusted few and available only on request and by permission of the owner. Give us a chance, it's only been up 4 days :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

What info is on there that's dangerous in the wrong hands? Its not like you're uploading nude photos of yourself to iCloud! I filled bits of mine in using Google. All the info's already out there.

Only thing I would point out is I think it should be searchable using a reg number, as opposed to having a full list of BXs in front of you, on the offchance dodgy characters are up to no good. If you have to enter the reg of the car you want to know about, it massively limits what people who are up to no good can do.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Most people can view this forum without being a member plus if you put Citroen BX into google images theres thousands to choose from.

I doubt very much someone will want to clone a 20 year old BX....theres not enough of them left for a start!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I agree Tim. The only things I'd be wary of is having a list of reg numbers in one public place. Ideal ground for people to make a load of fake plates and start doing drive-offs at petrol stations. I had the plates nicked off BAH once. Dickheads put them on a Focus (begging the question, why didn't they steal them off another Focus?!) and I had to jump through a few hoops getting it sorted. Got thrown in the back of a meat wagon once too; I'd been stopped for going too quickly, and was about to get let off with a warning before I was cuffed and chucked in the back. Turns out they hadn't removed the marker to say that reg is wanted. I had to point out they were looking at a red Citroen, not a silver Ford, but they still wanted to see the chassis plate. They didn't like it when I pointed out if I could make a silver Ford look like a red Citroen, I could probably forge a VIN plate!

In any case, the genuine enquiries will come from people searching for a particular car. Have a front door where you punch the reg number in, and it brings up the details. Easy! Maybe give full access to established club members for research purposes or something.

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Kitch wrote:What info is on there that's dangerous in the wrong hands?.
That did occur to me, but if people are making personal information public and want some guarantee of security, then it's reasonable to make sure that that information is secure. Personally, I think the chances of the criminal fraternity rubbing their hands together like it's Christmas because info regarding some old French cars is now available online, is . . . virtually nil.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Two things preventing all that ^ happening:

1. I'm not an expert so have to make it up/work it out as I go along.
2. More importantly: we'd have to pay £ to get the exact functionality we want. I'm not a code monkey, I do know the principles of what should be possible which is how I work it out eventually. I'm still limited by what "free stuff" will allow us to do.

That being said: there is now a form to 'add to register': it's HERE. I know many here have already added their details, would be very grateful if you'd have another go via the form and let me know about anything that's broken that I haven't found yet. Please check that you can't see the 'raw' responses: people's names/contact details and full registration numbers (year letter only) won't be shown on published version of register once I know this form's working OK. Thanks very much :)

Thanks also to a few people who have made suggestions on information that would be good to have in there - think I've got most of these: those that I haven't put in are mostly because it would make the form too stupidly long. If you have a burning desire to let the world know your car's name, there's an 'any other info section'. Or suggestions may not be on there because we can't do it *yet* - see 1 and 2 above: for example, pictures of cars and past sales history/prices info - useful for insurance purposes - to be added on Thursday (unspecified).
1992 Hurricane
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Vanny wrote: if someone went in and scrambled the data then it might be difficult to recover
Perhaps that was too well hidden from skim reading. My concern about it being public and editable was about the list getting damaged. As I said, I'm not too concerned about a 20+ year old BX being cloned.

I guess I must have missed the discussion about what should go into a register, and how to make it useful. Having manned the BX16Valve register for 10+ years I might have been able to add something, and possibly save duplicating work. Though it looks like this register will be tip top with the running changes.

For the BX16Valve register there is a huge archive of images, copies of ebay ads and data that owners have provided. There has even been a lengthy search made of google images which has found a good number of unknown cars and even known write offs, thank fully not work I did on my own.

I wonder if as a known and established club if a request could be made to the DVLA for all known scrapped BX's? Never got around to it myself, but it could make for a fabulous start for a register.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:
Vanny wrote:
I wonder if as a known and established club if a request could be made to the DVLA for all known scrapped BX's? Never got around to it myself, but it could make for a fabulous start for a register.
Now that's a plan!

Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Vanny wrote:My concern about it being public and editable was about the list getting damaged.
Hence me doing manual copies daily as backups for now (these are not publicly accessible) :).

Discussion about what would be useful took place quite a while back, and nothing got off the ground as what everyone wanted out of it was obviously too daunting for OP - and the rest of us in the discussion, including me - sales history, pictures, etc. I think this was just a "let's JFD what we can and see how it goes" moment (plus Paul just kept going ON AND ON about it and as he's spending quite a lot of time round 'ere earning an honest few pennies painting my house in between drinking tea I had to shut him up somehow ;P).

Trying to balance sensible normalisation without turning the thing into a monster means that I'm encouraging a fair bit (car nicknames, factory of manufacture, points of interest/historical information) to go into a memo field which would end up non-searchable*. If your long experience with BX16v register/queries recieved suggests that there's any of this type of stuff that should go as separate fields please do let me know and I'll "tune" - thanks in advance.

*most database software will not search on lengthy 'free text' fields. Free/cheap stuff certainly won't.

I had thought of ebay and going back through this forum - For Sale, Spotted, old blogs and Gallery particularly, didn't think of Google images, good tip, cheers. The 3 currently on ebay have been captured, I haven't done any of the rest of it. If anyone is bored and wants to take on a 'section', please post here - purely to avoid duplication of effort. Possible duplication of results is not a problem, I can set up register to notify if car is already listed and we can just check if there's any additional information or conflicts to follow up in duplicate submissions. Thanks.
1992 Hurricane
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Most people can view this forum without being a member plus if you put Citroen BX into google images theres thousands to choose from.
Depends on what exactly you google - last time I was bored enough to google Mk1 Citroen BX Estate the first 6 on the list were about Timex!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

From a database POV you just associate a piece of information with a primary key (in this case a registration) and you can literally associate anything from text to pictures. Its what I do a lot of at work. The problem will be hosting a lot of the data given that the BXClub doesn't control its on resource. A conversation is going to be needed with the powers that be.

I suspect that linking a database with the PHPBB3 authority system wouldn't be too difficult, this would allow members to browse and selected members to edit with a form to add data from non members. But as you say, this would take time to develop, something i don't have. Though i do know a man, and will ask when i'm back on the island.

I find its best with an eBay add to print it to PDF then save the pictures along side, unless someone has a better idea?