Newbie here!

Anything about BXs
burraston2006

Newbie here!

Post by burraston2006 »

Hi guys,
Just got myself a BX 17DTR. Can't believe I didn't do it years ago! I think I got lucky as it was owned by a smashing old bloke who didn't really want to sell it. In the last 5 years it's only done 500 miles! There are a few problems from this lack of use so I will be asking questions! The first one is does the steering rack stiffen up with lack of use? When stationary or at low speeds the steering is really heavy like there is now PAS yet at higher speeds it feels as if it works. I've driven the car 200 miles and the steering seems to be 'lightening' up at low speeds but now where near where I think it should be. Advice please!
Will post pickies when I take some!
citronut
Over 2k

Re: Newbie here!

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

there are a few causes of heavy steering

the first and easiest couple of things to check are

( 1 ) make sure the pump belt is very tight
( 2 ) check the hydraulic tank filters are clean ( mind the edges of the tank opening as they bite!!!! )

if these are all good it could either be the pump is getting tired or the FDV ( power steering flow valve ) is clogged up,

were are you located

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Welcome to the Forum.

Another thing to check is when were the spheres, especially accumulator last changed? When you buy an old BX it is worth doing as Malcolm says, check belt (maybe change?), change the LHM (bleed brakes too front and rear) and check the spheres. Nominally the fluid is supposed to be changed every 35k but will slowly degrade slightly over time. I'll bet it is a slightly murky greeny yellow, whereas new fluid is bright green. Worth changing the fluid for peace of mind, in that you know the brakes and suspension will work properly.
The problem is not mileage but time, slowly the pressure will leak from the spheres and the accumulator (on front of engine block) is often forgotten but it is important for the brakes and PAS. New spheres are available from AEP so if you check their website you will find suitable ones.

There are a whole little host of small things worth checking to get the best out of your new car. I would personally check the cooling system to make sure it is clean. If you drain it and it is not clean then flush and refill 50/50 distilled water (NOT tap water) and anti freeze. Can save you a radiator or more trouble down the line.

Mostly these cars are not too bad to work on and not too expensive to fix especially if you have a few tools. Maybe a bit different to some others but not in a bad way. There is a wealth of knowledge on this Forum so search threads for detailed info if you need it.

Enjoy.
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info on that one! I'll start have a look at them on my next day off. I think the list off things to do will get longer by the time I get there!!
I've noticed that the speedo seems to think that it's from a race car as it is reading way over what it is actially doing. I thought I was barrelling along at 85 or so but the GPS said 70! One of them is lying and I seem to think that it's the car!!
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

How do I spell check or edit my post?!
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

maybe its a climate thing but my accumulators seem time resistant..

I would second the idea of an LHM flush...

Also as inicated the Fdv filters may need a clean out...

If the HP pump belt is slack, most likely it will squeal ..you won't be able to ignore it!!! an it will usually slip more often at higher engine speeds.

Welcome..keep the questions coming as we are all happy to assist..... I've been here over 7 years and was once a newby too..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

Me again! Disaster! Charlie ( the kids have called the car Charlie Citroen!) has disgraced itself and has pxssed water all over the garage floor. It turns out that doing 500 miles in it's first week was a rude awakening from it's peaceful slumber of the last umpteen years, so he has shown his displeasure by blowing the water pump. The bxstard!
Looks like it gets another week of slumber while I search fleabuy for another one.
Anyho, with regards to the advise on the suspension, I've started searching the tech section ( as I don't profess to know one end of the spanner from the other! ) and I can't find where it is. Can anyone post a link for me! Also I noticed that when he has been parked overnight the rear suspension has settled down but the front stays up. Should it be doing this? I thought the whole car would drop. Sorry to show my ignorance!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Are you sure it is the water pump? Could be, so change the cam belt too (I assume diesels have these too, as I have a petrol... :wink: ) whilst at it. Should be doable, others will probably confirm. Service interval on petrol cam belt is 35k or 7 years, and I take the view that if you don't know - then change it (the cam belt - cheap item).

Also the water hoses will be quite old and if not replaced after about 15 odd years start to give up. Not all are readily available but kluges can be contrived to work well. Ensure cooling system is distilled and anti freeze 50/50 and NOT tap water. Draining the radiator will tell you a lot about the cooling system.... :wink:

If clean but murkyish (ie you can still see colour of antifreeze) then the car has been well looked after, if rust emerges, you need to fully flush rad and engine block before refilling with correct coolant. Even then the rad could be blocked enough to cause problems, easy to remove though and squirt the hose through. If not clear, might be worth searching fleabay.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Tink, the guy professes not to know one end of a spanner from another so i reccon he is going to need a good mechanic to do the work for him.

Hi bud, welcome to the club. Where abouts are you?

Andy
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

The water that pxssed out was beautifully clear with a hint of green colouration. From this I would presume that the giffer who had it before me looked after it!
As to my location, I'm in sunny Somerset in a town called Yobville ( Yeovil ) !!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well that is a good sign, clearish 'green' water. There are 3 (at least) antifreeze types out there suitable. One is blue in colour, one green/turquoise and the last one pink. They should NOT be mixed. So establish whether it is (faded) blue or the green/turquoise type and when you refill/yop up the system use the same type.

The difference mainly concerns the temperature range protected ie down to -30 (for example) but also the recommended change interval. The 'pink'un' is the highest spec (and most expensive) and it recommends change every 6 years or 150k. The green/turquoise is next down, then the blue which is change every 2 years.

BTW cam belts are about 13 quid and a lot cheaper than a mangled cylinder head..... and to get the water pump out, the cam belt has to be removed. So worth changing at the same time. In fact check the hydraulic belt and the alternator one as again these will have to be removed so you can examine them. Once again not expensive, though there is some variation on the alternator belts depending on model ie with air con. I think yours is a 'normal' one with the 4 little Vs' so those belts are widely available.
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

Looking to order a timing belt as per your sage advice-how do I find out what the engine code is? i.e XUD7TE or A8A etc?
burraston2006

Post by burraston2006 »

Can't find a cam belt for £13.00 On flea buy they are nearer £90.00! Can you let me know where else to look?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

burraston2006 wrote:Can't find a cam belt for £13.00 On flea buy they are nearer £90.00! Can you let me know where else to look?
A good quality Gates cambelt can be found for £11 to £15 approx on the bay for the GTI, I should think you'd find a diesel belt for a similar price. :?

An alternative source of belts would be GSF Ltd or Euro car parts Ltd. (Unipart would have been another good option but they've gone into receivership now. :( )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'm assuming the £90 relates to a full cambelt kit which contains the belt, & tensioners & some even contain the waterpump. If you just want the belt, thats the cheaper price which has been touted above.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.