whats the most stuff your BX has held?

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

whats the most stuff your BX has held?

Post by B-Hive »

As a follow on from my previous post. I thought I'd start another by polling the forum to see who has carried the most stuff in the BX's. This can include on the roof. Hatch or wagon. Tailgates up or down.

I'll kick it off with once having carried a full size mobility scooter with room to spare. And on another occasion 15 chock full garden waste bags. (all inside).. one on passenger seat... :lol:
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: whats the most stuff your BX has held?

Post by Thread Bear »

Not in the same category but I towed a Merc Fintail saloon on the 'Rover' trailer (The strongest trailer I have seen, its indestructible) from just by the Winneresh Triangle to Faringdon using the BX Turbo Diesel Estate of the day. It had the spares in the back. I estimate a weight of some 21/2 tons on the tow hitch and another 1/2 ton in the car. The only nasty moment was a pratt on a bicycle who pulled out in front of me, assuming whatever cyclist assume. Perhaps they think a bicycle is a horse. I had to brake for traffic space, locking the trailer up, and swerve to avoid him, to which his reaction was I was driving dangerously - which I was but not for the reasons he thought. So big stares and rude words as I continued on. This was one of the guys who met his flat mate on the A420, as mentioned previously, and a loon. Otherwise the BX calmly got on with the job making it all look legal. Thus proving that while you know what your doing, there is always some pillock who does not, so laws have to be made to protect everyone. A huge advance for pillockism, coming in there. Did the Scots vote to leave, by the way? :lol:
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Did the Scots vote to leave, by the way? :lol:
No they didn't :lol: Mind you - difficult decision for them - didn't matter which way they voted they must have realised they were not going to get rid of Gordon Brown :roll: I always thought the whole thing was a no-brainer anyway. With Alex Salmond's vague and rather dim approach to the currency issue I'm amazed the yes vote was so high.

Anyway - towing with the BX - brought the BX 4x4 back from the West Country on a trailer that apparently weighed around 600Kg on its own - so full up weight er... illegal by a couple of hundred Kg - but it still managed ok.

I needed to add to a brick wall at the front of the house and found that the company who made the original concrete style bricks in 1962 were still making the same ones :shock: so I drove down to West Sussex to buy some. I decided I needed 90 and while buying them I asked how heavy they were. We did the maths there-and-then to see if the load would be within the legal limit - and it was - just. I couldn't help mentioning that although it looked as though it was completely grounded - as soon as I started the engine it would rise to its normal ride height ^^ ^^ So with the back seats folded down and the space filled with 3 layers of concrete bricks :D it felt really heavy - but that didn't stop me pushing it a little to see if the rear brake compensation worked ok (it certainly seemed to) and to see how it handled round corners... impressive considering the load :D
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

I always think my 16v handles much better with a full load. It's more smooth over undulations and less twitchy. Takes more effort to stop it though!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

This was my TGD last week prior to going down the tip. Passenger seat was full too. Managed to get more in the back as well, followed by another load about the same the next day.

Andy

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Hard to say 'what is the most stuff?'. Helped a friend move house once and had to store a load of furniture etc at home for a week, One BX hatch load was more than his 306 estate could handle though.... :lol: So what I did in one run he needed 2 to do.

RobC, you haven't put enough bricks in....the front goes very very light, ultra power steering except it isn't steering except by itself over 65!. Yes the bricks were in the passenger footwell too... :wink:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Being that most adults weigh at least 70kgs, I expect the most a regular BX will carry would be 5 adults and a boot full of shopping TBH. You can fold your seats down and fill it to the roof, but unless it's paving slabs you won't actually be stressing it that much.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Picked up a load of roofing slates once, filled the entire insides of the car and a largeish trailer as well. Went to drive off and it wouldn't lift up so had to drive 20 miles home with the rear suspension bottomed out....

The grey one spends a lot of its time full up with stuff, but this trip from Blighty to home is probably the most stuffed it's been in a while: as well as several weeks' worth of shopping, a LOT of ebay purchases including lots of brake parts for the BX, a bicycle, camera kit, a load of motorbike kit and two people, I also found room for a complete 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100 in bits (and a pair of spare wheels_....

1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote:Being that most adults weigh at least 70kgs, I expect the most a regular BX will carry would be 5 adults and a boot full of shopping TBH. You can fold your seats down and fill it to the roof, but unless it's paving slabs you won't actually be stressing it that much.
Fully agree, having moved several loads of paving slabs in the hatch with the back seats down. :) In actual fact you cannot load more than probably 8 deep (distributed only in the back of the car/boot) before the rear will not lift, so you would always have a clear view through the rear view mirror! :lol: (I know 'cos I had to take some out to enable the suspension to lift. 8) )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

guess I was going the volume of the cargo rather than the weight..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

B-Hive wrote:guess I was going the volume of the cargo rather than the weight..
Ah, volume is no problem, you can compress a massive load of foam pillows throughout the car. :) "Bill" might object upon visibility grounds if you attempted to drive it though. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Way2go wrote:
B-Hive wrote:guess I was going the volume of the cargo rather than the weight..
Ah, volume is no problem, you can compress a massive load of foam pillows throughout the car. :) "Bill" might object upon visibility grounds if you attempted to drive it
though. :lol:
Be suprised if plod would be bothered as you would i hope be able to use the wing mirrors. You do see vans about with no rear windows and they are allowed on the roads using just the side mirrors. Going down the tip again this morning i couldnt see out of my rear view mirror. Couldnt the other day either.

Andy
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

A ton of bricks
A ton of slabs (40)
25 bags of sand cement
50 6ft fence posts
A vespa scooter with top box and screen
Various white goods
Almost half a BX
3 Police Officers (but thats another story)
My fat mate Mark.
3 cats 2 dogs and a rabbit with hutch
Years ago a stray cat had kittens in The frpnt foot well of my old 14e breaker, i only scrapped it once they had all left.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Actually a quick calc shows I had 632Kg+ of bricks in the car. Now 5 X 70Kg adults = 350Kg a bit different. My own weight is around 82Kg so well over 700Kg insid the car - no stress just over double 5 adults, why fuss, water off a ducks back to a BX, it even levels the lights....

Actually rutter I doubt you did have a full ton of bricks, well maybe you did, somewhere around 400 standard metric size ones btw. That must have felt a bit odd.

I had a friend about 19-20 stone and he did break the front seat of his BX (19RD) after a few years....but not the car.... :wink:
rutter123 wrote:A ton of bricks
A ton of slabs (40)
25 bags of sand cement
50 6ft fence posts
A vespa scooter with top box and screen
Various white goods
Almost half a BX
3 Police Officers (but thats another story)
My fat mate Mark.
3 cats 2 dogs and a rabbit with hutch
Years ago a stray cat had kittens in The frpnt foot well of my old 14e breaker, i only scrapped it once they had all left.
Blimey! all that in one go....I think you deserve the prize.... :lol:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Weight wise this was probably the most:

Volume wise (no photo) was a sofa, fridge freezer, microwave, computer plus monitor, coffee table and bedside table, air bed, pillows, duvet, 2 bags of clothes and two people. This was when we were moving to rented accommodation, and we had to take the double bed on a separate trip. The two divan sections fitted in the back, I strapped the mattress to the top, and at anything over 50mph the wind would get underneath. At which point it started to noisily and amusingly hump the roof!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad