suspensión on the highest setting

BX Tech talk
benifotrem1
Confirmed BX'er

suspensión on the highest setting

Post by benifotrem1 »

Hi all,

If I leave the suspension on the highest setting I seem to lose less fluid from the leak that my car has.
My question is can I leave the car parked on the highest setting and will it eventually rest on the lowest setting? I have no intention of using the car. It is parked up in the garage for lots of tlc this winter
Benifotrem1

1985 BX19 GT
1970 SEAT 124 ESTATE (same as FIAT)
1971 HONDA PC50

MODERN CARS:

2005 AUDI ALLROAD 4.2
2000 SKODA FABIA 1.9 TDI ELEGANCE
Mothman

Re: suspensión on the highest setting

Post by Mothman »

If left the car will eventually sink to its lowest setting. They all do that, particularly when they get older.

Andy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

benifotrem1 wrote:Hi all,

If I leave the suspension on the highest setting I seem to lose less fluid from the leak that my car has.
My question is can I leave the car parked on the highest setting and will it eventually rest on the lowest setting? I have no intention of using the car. It is parked up in the garage for lots of tlc this winter
It sounds like your octopus is rotten and needs replacement. :( Yes you will lose less fluid when the height lever is in the intermediate position rather than the normal(auto) setting as the suspension control is less dynamic. Personally, I think when a car is not used this is a better setting to leave the car in, as periodic "pumping up" lubricates/polishes a greater length of the strut internals. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BXImage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by BXImage »

I heard thet height levers can bend if you leave car in highest position and let it lower itself after some time - not sure if it is true, information came from a guy that maintaines BX's since mid-90-s.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

BXImage wrote:I heard thet height levers can bend if you leave car in highest position and let it lower itself after some time - not sure if it is true, information came from a guy that maintaines BX's since mid-90-s.
Don't see how that can be true, the lever is just a remote mechanical linkage to a hydraulic system. The lever or linkage are not put under any strain.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The lever mech can go rusty, but that is you bending it when it will not move, which is quite difficult. I did manage it but I am quite large.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Defender110 wrote:
BXImage wrote:I heard thet height levers can bend if you leave car in highest position and let it lower itself after some time - not sure if it is true, information came from a guy that maintaines BX's since mid-90-s.
Don't see how that can be true, the lever is just a remote mechanical linkage to a hydraulic system. The lever or linkage are not put under any strain.
I don't think it's wise to take a BX to that man for repair if his understanding of the cars operation is so defective. :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
benifotrem1
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benifotrem1 »

Speaking of rust I have just found the only rust spot (surface rust) on the entire car, having spent two weeks inspecting the car! Its the size of a finger nail. Not bad for a car built in 1985.
The joys of having a car that has spent its entire life on the Mediterranean. Cars rarely rust here unlike in the UK.

My 1970 SEAT 124 estate only has a few minor rust spots. These cars disappeared years ago in the UK
Benifotrem1

1985 BX19 GT
1970 SEAT 124 ESTATE (same as FIAT)
1971 HONDA PC50

MODERN CARS:

2005 AUDI ALLROAD 4.2
2000 SKODA FABIA 1.9 TDI ELEGANCE
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As we discovered on the Challenge a couple of years back if you leave a car in high it might get stuck there!

I have heard the argument that if you put it in low it's less stress on the spheres before the system naturally depressurises.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citsncycles wrote:As we discovered on the Challenge a couple of years back if you leave a car in high it might get stuck there!
That has got to be due to a defective system, probably the height correctors gunged up?
citsncycles wrote: I have heard the argument that if you put it in low it's less stress on the spheres before the system naturally depressurises.
In "normal" or "intermediate" that is the least stressful situation for the spheres as the diaphragms are in equilibrium. "Low" is the most stressful as the diaphragm is fully stretched under its nitrogen pressure alone without LHM to oppose it. In other words the spheres are most stressed when the system is depressurised.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I do believe a sticky front height corrector was diagnosed on the Challenge.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!