Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Tinkley »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I'll give it a work out, sure. It's nearly there but is not handling as well as the Red Baron did yet. But in sure with further work we'll get there.
I know the feeling, my BX is not the same since I did the front subframe. No wobble at any speed, can't easily find anything out just not as 'planted'. I suspect the steering coupling and a minor tracking adjustment. However the front tyre wear is perfect and off tracking always shows an uneveness to the wear. We will get there.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I suspect height correctors and and old LHM/clogged filters - so as you say, we will get there ;)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Chuck some hydraflush in the system Phil. I've noticed a big improvement in the ride quality of mine.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

That's on the list, Mark. New struts, return pipes and top mount as well, should certainly do no harm. The car performed very well over the weekend and the return back home from Phil B's was enjoyable. I would like a temp gauge I think and a manual fan override switch - just for those traffic jam moments.

New induction kit gives a satisfying grumble. And improved pick-up. Nice work, Kermit :)

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Way2go wrote:
Phil wrote:Remind me, anyone, what causes the car to sink at the rear after braking and then gently settle itself?
The rear brakes are tapped off the rear suspension feed. If this is particularly noticeable then that points towards a problem with the Accy sphere or pressure regulator. I guess a weak pump could also be the culprit if it can't keep up with demand in use?
This symptom (slow rise of the rear end after gentle breaking) is caused by a leaking seal in the dosseur valve (brake master on a 'normal' car). While relatively easy to change the seals, Citroen UK no longer have any stock, though they may be the same for other models with a different part number.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the advice. We'll check it out.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Vanny wrote:
Way2go wrote:
Phil wrote:Remind me, anyone, what causes the car to sink at the rear after braking and then gently settle itself?
The rear brakes are tapped off the rear suspension feed. If this is particularly noticeable then that points towards a problem with the Accy sphere or pressure regulator. I guess a weak pump could also be the culprit if it can't keep up with demand in use?
This symptom (slow rise of the rear end after gentle breaking) is caused by a leaking seal in the dosseur valve (brake master on a 'normal' car). While relatively easy to change the seals, Citroen UK no longer have any stock, though they may be the same for other models with a different part number.

It is often just gas trapped in the system from leaking spheres, just bleeding the back brakes cures it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Update; front to rear fuel pipes pretty shot. One sprung a leak so it's been temporarily repaired. New pipes to order once funds available. Also front flexis to do (ABS model, so not that easy to come by I think? - Rob Moss has some but a tad pricey - although I might have no choice)... Managed to replace the split outer driveshaft boot... so that's another thing off the list. LHM change and filter clean next week or so.

Planning a mega-weekend of BX fettling with Kermit later on this month. New front struts, a new strut top, return pipes/clips (all new too), front brake pipes, sort sunroof drain tubes (at least with the sunroof duct taped up it's dry inside now!), repair rear tail gate and faff about with waxoyling the underneath... and whatever else we can do! I shall keep Mr. Boxall fed with nice grub and ample hot drinks. Managed to get the loan of a lift for the Saturday which'll help no end.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hopefully this link will work, but if not, they do list them. Before I bought mine I got them to check they did have the correct M9 thread, as a lot of the pattern parts have the wrong thread.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Philip Chidlow wrote: I would like a temp gauge I think and a manual fan override switch - just for those traffic jam moments.
Its easy enough to put a temp gauge in & I have put a manual fan override switch on my bx. Well worth the effort to stop the car attempting to overheat.

When I did the temp gauge I removed the red warning light switch & replaced it with the sensor & put the wire off it on to the yellow lights' switch & wired the clock on to the yellow lights' wire. I think others on here have done the same thing.

As for the override I put a relay under the bonnet with my fog light relay, connected it to the battery (via a fuse), earthed it, & put the live out directly to the fan between the existing wires using some push together connectors, & put the switch in the center console (there is a picture in my blog if you want to see it), & picked up power from the ignition.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

TBH not had a problem getting the front flexys but then it has been about three years since I last changed a pair and there are definitely fewer BX bits about. I would have thought they were BX universal - 16v maybe excepted.

Just had to do the fuel pipes thaough as well, seems an age related thing something about these H platers where some parts are going to give up. The pipes would have done another year but whilst on the ramp and the tank out, just so much easier. Better to be safe than sliding on fuel or wondering why the fuel consumption is so crap.... :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The ABS ones had larger diameter brake pipes (4.5 instead of 3.5 mm) so consequently the hose union needs to be larger. Standard ones have an M8 thread, but I've read of a number of people buying the ABS hoses to find that they were also the same! They can be tapped out to M9 if required as the thread pitch is also 1 mm, but if you can buy the correct ones to start with that saves faffing about.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

What's ABS..... :lol:

Definitely not on my old 14, mind you I never looked for it.....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Phil, I think you may find that you'll have to make something up for the metal fuel pipes as I believe at least one of them is unobtainable. They are standard diameters I think (although each is different), so you should be able to get some suitable pipe to make your own easily enough. Some people have used copper pipe to good effect although I've heard that bio diesel can attack it.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!