Bertie

Anything about BXs
Gary C
BXpert

Bertie

Post by Gary C »

He has popped up in conversations on here so I thought that a proper introduction should be made.

Bertie is my race car. We take part in the Quaife Motorsport News saloon car championship. In 2013 we finished 3rd in class and tenth overall in the QMN championship as well as finishing 10th overall in the Cannons Tin Top championship. For 2014 we are not allowed to play in both so opted for the more modified group. We are 8 races in and are 7th overall and leading the class despite our best results being 3 x 3rd. Four different winners so far but our track record of 8 starts/8 finishes has helped us to the top although by the narrowest of margins - a single point! We'll be happy if we achieve same result as last year at season's end.

There is more info on Bertie at www.bxsport.co.uk In the news section (May 23rd) there is a link to a promo for Motors TV in which Bertie puts in a brief appearance.
Gary C
BXpert

Re: Bertie

Post by Gary C »

Brief update. We are now 10 out of 10 on finishing picking up a 4th and a 3rd over the weekend but have dropped to 2nd in class. The trip to Snetterton was also an opportunity to pick up a few spares from Jeremy C5 on the way. Fortunately no accident damage for us at this meeting so the doors and wing will have a place in the shed for a while.

Website news updated and now has links to the race mentioned in previous post (Bertie is in the first and last races) plus link to another TV promo.
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Nipped off for a race meeting at Donington Park with the Special Saloons last weekend where unfortunately Bertie's engine started playing up in the second race. Pulled off and retired.

Stripped the engine down today and found a bit of a mess. Not so bad as we had envisaged so we should be back playing in a few weeks time with the QMN lot at Lydden Hill.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

A full calender of events does knock a mileage for the support vehicles. One of the things that put me off doing Hysteric Saloon Cars. Now some championships are slipping cross channel venues in, as they are cheaper to run. Says a lot! Stick with it. You only live once and I wish I had gone for it now.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Have raced at several circuits in Europe. Spa is a particular favourite. You are right about the costs, a trip to Spa with 3 nights b+b, entry fees, fuel, ferry, food etc is about a grand which is what it costs to go racing at Knockhill in Scotland. Local circuit is Brands Hatch so once the entry fee is paid not a lot else to fork out for.
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Another 4th and 3rd have kept us 2nd in class (can't now be caught by 3rd placed team). Overall 7th but have a score to drop as we have finished all races so far this season in the QMN championship.

All to play for at the last round at Brands Hatch in 4 weeks time.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Used to live about 1/2 a mile from the fence of Brands Hatch in a former life in the print trade. Often used to go in to see what was practicing on Wed evenings and such. Made up for a well paid job I hated.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Season is over and it looks like Bertie has managed 8th overall and second in class (usual official confirmation required). 16 starts - 16 finishes.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Fantastic. Well done :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
CitroenBaz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by CitroenBaz »

is this the Gary Cole of 2cv circuit racing of the early 90s in the whittman blue & yellow 2cv ? if so , i had a many a good race with you , glade to hear you are still having fun, barry annells.
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Hi Barry. Same guy - different Citroen! The year was 1991. Did just the one season, won the title and then decided to try and go faster. Go faster now but probably not as much fun.

Championship standings confirmed 8th overall out of 50, 2nd in class of 12.

Not sure about next season yet. Need to source some cheap spares - engine, box, drive shafts, arms, drop links, headlamps, indicators, anything that takes a pounding.
CitroenBaz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by CitroenBaz »

hi gary

what bits are you looking for are they for the bx(is it 16v) or the xsara (is it vtr 1.8 16v or 2.0 16v vts)

barry
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

Bertie is a genuine E plate 16v. Have quite a few spare panels in varying condition and would really like the car to be immaculate for start of 2015. Problem is the poor old thing gets "machine gunned" by the gravel dragged on to the circuit and the lights and windscreen are very good at stopping the bullets with disastrous consequences. Even with tape over the lights they have a tendency to break if hit in the wrong place. Wings are not too bad although could do with a pair of the "16v kit" panels, sills and rear arches - you can only repair them so often. Doors tend to take a bit of a bashing as many believe the adage "if you aint rubbing you aint racing".

Mechanically the car has held up quite well. Could do with a spare spare XU9J4 engine to build another race unit. Gearbox is standard with a couple of changes of ratio. Pukka drive shafts seem hard to come by as do drop links.

Hope to get a lim slip for next season so that could stress a few bits.
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

I have recently fitted a Quaife helical limited slip diff to my 16v and it was very hard on driveshafts knocking out a couple of excellent used ones and one new one but it does sharpen up the steering really nicely. Are you on 14in or 15in wheels? I am using C5 Steels which are about half the weight of standard alloys… And recently have fitted Yokohama AD08r tyres which have stiffer sidewalls and that has further sharpened the steering…
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
Gary C
BXpert

Post by Gary C »

If it is Quaife then presume it is ATB diff which should not cause a lot of bother with drive shafts unless the camber has been changed. Quaife own Tran X. The Tran X diff is a competition unit and is the one I'm looking to install. Unlike the fit and forget ATB this will need servicing and regular maintenance. Bertie sits on C5 rims clothed in 888s or slicks.

Like the website Hilary. Must dig out some of the old bike stuff.