Was happenin with the forum?

Anything about BXs
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Was happenin with the forum?

Post by mds141 »

We've registered with the telephone preference service, but this seems to result in more nuisance calls. I find the forums are a nice diversion from the realities of shitty life.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I agree with you on that Mark, this forum and Facebook are quite a diversion, for which ime glad.
I have a mate, he has never ever had a curry, an Indian meal, nor a Chinese in his life[60+ in age] and who says they are disgusting, wont ever eat one and yet has never tasted one. I sense this from some people on the forum. Bit sad really. I admit, ime not all there re the modern technicallities of life, phone rings, i answer it but thats about it. Ime not too arrogant to say its beneath me cos ime superior to it!! I was a latecomer to Facebook but ive got used to it, the BXC is a tad slow in comparison but it provides the technical advice F/B cannot. Cant understand why people knock F/B if they certainly havnt tried it. They might be pleasantly suprised!!

Andy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

You should not have to do something about nuisance calls. They should not exist. If they can heckle you then you should be able to heckle them. In the good old days you simply left the phone off the hook on them. That froze the line costing them money. Bring that option back, no cold calling. Like I say, join the herd and be sold. Or buy a service to block the calls you should not be getting, A herd protection service of hyenas. I prefer the stone age, it was simpler and more work got done.

30 calls is a minute to answer and four minutes to refocus on what you were doing. So that is a loss of some hour and half productive time a day, at least, ignoring voluntary wittering from the known, and people who are late because they have a 'phone that allows them to be late.
Restrict calls to set times and only important stuff gets through, late people are late, and take their chances as they should, while things in correct order are dealt with. I give an appointment an hours grace. I walk out of businesses that put 'phone calls in front of my presence at the counter unbidden. Its all slack and rudeness. I tell you, it works. You end up talking to proper people, who get on with it. You end up with more done and more free-time rather than sorting out other peoples problems. Its why I can look at my email when I want to...and choose to help people if I want to.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just out of interest, whats cold calling got to do with this forum?
Also, if you are getting stupid amounts of cold calls, you only have yourself to blame if its bothering you. You can actually do something about it. I did, i dont get any.

I only get calls from mates or people or institutions/companies ive given my number to. Ime also quite glad however that i dont feel the need to be productive all day every day. Quite happy to sit with a cuppa and a paper for an hour or 3 every day. As for choosing to help people or not, well, again, thats perfectly normal, we all have that choice. Also, how can you get people to restrict calls to a set time? Life just isnt like that, its not run like the military. Life is about give and take, getting on with people, working, sleeping and everything else thats thrown together, fun and problems included. I dont live a regimented life, dont care what people think of me, its their problem, not mine. And, whats all this got to do with the forum?
TB, if you are in control of your life then there shouldnt be so many problems. I waste my time as i see fit, sometimes i do and sometimes i dont and i quite like pleasant chats on the phone, anytime.

Andy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

What has it to do with the question above? The drift of feeling was that Facebook is where folk are going to communicate. Facebook, and others, make money marketing that info and thus provide their corporate clients targeted communities to hassle. So cold calls, or whatever you want to call them, are interlinked with that. You are advertising your information to be heckled. They also own the rights to the info and images you post to them for free. Not good news for artists using these sites!
Ordinary email and secure forums do not offer up their information so easy. So its not a problem for me, either. I get few cold calls. I am reflecting an alternative viewpoint and lifestyle that works based on experience after years running my, and other, businesses. Each person has to find balance to suit themselves, but you cannot buy it at face value from the advertisers, who have an angle, see above, is my message.

Restricted 'phone time. This is surprisingly common among small suppliers of older cars, else you would never eat hot food. Try buying Messerschmitt parts from Heiko Zimmerman without using his preferred methods/times. Ain't going to happen. Yet he has the source of many parts required. Of course you can order through others, but you pay their mark up over Heiko's prices for the privilege of 'easy access'. BX might not have got to this point yet, but it might. The Internet email has been a boon here as you can leave a message when you want, he can respond when he wants. Not much spying like Facebook and co. Book an appointment and he will be free to talk. Sounds total sense to me.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

How is putting something on Facebook going to cause you problems? And so what if F/B is going to make money, thats what its there for as well? All you have to really say is that you dont like F/B and be done with it. Dont have to make excuses for yourself. And, as you dont use it, all the problems you say it causes are imaginary as you dont use it and it therefore dosnt affect you in any way.

And anyway, we were talking about this forum and not running a busuness and needing restricted phone calls. Dont really undertand why you seem to have a problem with something you are not involved with i.e F/B.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I think facebook is great, I keep in touch with people who live abroad and old mates I have lost touch with, as with anything open to the general public there is idiots out there and you have to be careful and think what you post before you click. Theres lots of scammers and tricksters too but there is a "delete" and "block" facility so they are easy to get rid off! Plus you dont HAVE to join up, or use it all the time if you do....and its not the invention of the devil, although many people think that about the internet.

We have reached BX enthusiats over all over the world aswell as UK owners or ex owners who probably wouldnt want to join the forum
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I totally agree with you Tim, it is just another form of communication, thats all and suggest that some should try it before condeming it.
People can also view this forum and then get the best of both worlds. It certainly is much quicker as well to upload pictures to F/B and they reach a far bigger audience than on here, certainly so if my BX F/B page is anything to go by, 3000 people have seen it in a week even though not all have liked it. Could never do that on here. Mind you, F/B is continually asking me to 'boost' pictures which i have resisted as there is a fee to do so. Ime not going to ever do that and so F/B wont ever be taking money from me as ime in control. Whover sees it, well, i dont mind. It certainly is a good way to keep in touch with friends and family, it dosnt even cost the price of a phone call and you can use it whenever your PC is on. It should therefore conveniently fall into Threadbears lifestyle to use something at a prescribed time as and when he wants to...or...not. You might just pleasantly suprise yourself bud...

Andy
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I think that FB compliments the use of forums, rather than replacing them. I use both and find them useful in equal measure.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

As a sometime designer of various products, I do not accept signing away copyright to anyone without my express permission. It can take many years to generate good ideas and concepts, Facebook and others SHOULD NOT have the right to own those images - simple I won't upload them. Also why I have refused to enter some design competitions, you sign away copyright. Filing a Patent is OK but can cost anything from a few hundred to several hundred thousand pounds and then you may have to defend it.

Yes FB is OK as an interactive social site but it does have down sides and intellectual property theft is one of those areas.

Actually Andy, its quite funny, having worked on pagers, GUIs' for mobiles even the main masts themselves and almost without a mobile device myself. Does not mean I don't understand them a bit or how to make them reasonably intuitive. I remember using pagers in the late 70s' a sort of early version of texting in reality.

I'm not over fond of never being able to delete your 'history' on the web to some degree. Although I don't have any 'wardrobe malfunction' shots or similar! I'm sure you should have some control. Ask Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games actress) how she feels?.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well bud, all i can say is that if you dont like it, dont use it. Ive never posted anything on F/B thats nasty [ok, some might not agree but thats their choice] my sense of humour might not be the same as theirs and i dont care that my copyright is infringed as ime not planning to make a film or write a book.Certainly wont be patenting anything either so i think your reasons for not liking it are quite limited unless your proffession is compromised. Mine isnt.
I just like a laugh now and then, swear, and says fuck a lot and who drinks like a fish. Sitting there worrying who does what where and when with my pictures, well, i have better things to do. Ime sure most people who have nowt to hide will agree with me.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Another thought Tink, you are obviously an intelligent man, also have concerns about F/B, why cant you just use F/B to your own ends, just posting what you want? Surely then you would be in control? Same to Threadbear? If you do this then there is no argument? I hope you are not too frightened with it just to speak?
I shall be posting a lot less on my blog about Mollie, if you want to see more, then look at my F/B page My BXs. OK, will post the end product but as its not developing much interest so i wont bother with much else. F/B is very interested. It will be you, TBs and anyone else who aint into F/Bs loss.

Andy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mothman, how much is Mark Zuckerberg paying you to be running his PR campaign? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Fuck all bud!! I thought you were better than that.
Last edited by Mothman on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Actually, i think its a shame that a few members of the forum, who i thought were intelligent clever buggers, who could do so much more with the maintenance, welding and sort elecrtical problems than I are such computer phillistines. Been a bit of a shock to me i can tell you!! Their loss, as i said, if they want to follow Mollie, then F/B it will be. You could look at the CCC website, it will be there. This place seems a bit of a dead loss.

Andy