Greetings from west Cornwall and a couple of questions!!

Anything about BXs
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Greetings from west Cornwall and a couple of questions!!

Post by kernowtim »

After a gap of 8 years I have just acquired another bx 1.9d estate, this one a 1994 tzd needing some tidying !!
New car has an oil gauge above the fuel gauge,when ignition first switched on needle moves to right and gauge illuminated, then needle moves back and light goes out, is this an oil level check?? And should something change when engine running as needle stays on left and doesn't move. Next question is should there be a lights on buzzer, can't remember if my first car, an '87 19rd had one!!
Thanks, Tim
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Greetings from west Cornwall and a couple of questions!!

Post by mds141 »

Not sure if this was fitted as standard to a 1.9 D, but on higher spec models, the oil pressure gauge doubles as the oil level gauge as you've concluded. The gauge should move whilst the engine is running to indicate oil pressure.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

AFAIK it's only the GTi and 16v which had the pressure gauge - the rest it was purely a level gauge and serves no purpose for most of the time. There should be a lights-on buzzer, on the panel underneath the steering wheel.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Never rely on any bx gauge, make checking your levels a weekly routine, same for leaks and decaying plumbing, moreso now the colder weather is coming, most of your small bore rubber pipework will have started to perish if it has not been replaced already, good luck bx'ing again.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I'm pretty sure the oil guage only works on start up and for say 10 seconds. It should give an indication of level, if you are lucky... :wink:
Often the guage gets carbonised and stops working so check the level yourself, manually. The light will still come on behind and maybe the needle will sometimes work but don't rely on it. I believe Citronut knows a lot about this particular problem.

As rutter says above, beware of cooling pipes from the first frosts onwards. If they have been replaced fine, but as rubber expands and the metals shrink with cold you can get leaks. If the hoses are say 15+ years old then more chance of that. Quite a few cars will have had most of the main hoses changed at least once, so now more chance of the second generatuion hoses failing.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The lights-on buzzer is usually white and though it's supposed to be fixed to the plastic close to the bonnet release lever, it may have left there and be dangling on its wires. There's another relay in that area which also my be dangling on its wire by now - and that's the heater fan full-speed relay which is the subject of a 'standard' modification to get it to work which is described here...

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5515
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I believe my tzd turbo has adorned the roads of Cornwall at some point judging by the Kernow sticker on the tailgate.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Thanks for the replies,will investigate buzzer but have noticed interior lights not working, looks like door switch needs cleaning, fixed brake lights now just driveshaft to change hopefully before trip to Shepton mallet car show this weekend plus find and fit radio!!
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Car sorn,ed now so should have until end of year to sort it, needs some welding too :-(
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Finally got some work done on the car, old driveshaft out, casting that holds the support bearing off as the bottom mount has turned to mush thanks to an engine oil leak, at least the front subframe won't rust as it along with engine is covered in oily crud, Gsf have these mounts for £6.42 inc post, no longer available from Citroen!!
Front pads worn, wear indicators obviously don't work, discs scored and rusty on inner side, more rust spotted on inner wing. Hailstones getting blown under garage door so given up for tonight..