Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Way2go »

Ah, sounds like the"catch" wasn't fully resecured after disconnectig to enable dashbulb replacement. Always needs a "tug check" after reconnecting.
The existing cable may still be ok.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Now for something completely different...

For those who take an interest in such things (and although Citroen-themed it's not BX) here's a nice little film about the Visa 1000 pistes 4x4, AX 4x4 etc being given a work out at the Circuit Serre Chevalier. Claude Laurent, who runs/ran the circuit was a reasonably successful driver for Citroen's WRC team in the 70's/80's driving amongst other things a GS.

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I nearly had a burning BX. A couple of years ago a load of dry leaves somehow managed to congregate on the exhaust manifold to down pipe joint/collar, where they proceeded to get somewhat hot... :wink:
Fortunately I smelt the burning, stopped the car, opened bonnet and after quickly locating source, managed to brush the burning mess off before it caught the sound insulation on the bulkhead alight!. At this time of year, it's worth bearing in mind, better to catch it rather than celebrate Mr Fawkes by sacrificing one's BX..... :lol:
Last edited by Tinkley on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Eeek- another lucky escape :)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Philip Chidlow wrote:That's why I call it Henry, :wink:
Surely its called BOB?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ah yes. At the moment it's called f*$$¥~g pain in the c}^*ing a<€\}!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I see you've chosen a more French name then, much better!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK. The LIST.

It's still there, but much of what was needed has been done. Some new stuff's reared it's ugly head, and there's some 'optional' work to undertake.

Overall this BX has required more than any other BX I've ever owned. Surprising given it's initial promise (low miles and owners, current MOT etc).

So, what's imminent:
• Fix leak from pump where the stop solenoid is screwed into it: a relatively simple fix. The diesel does come out as a dribble and all the oily dirt it collects on its way down the engine has meant it's left a real mess where it's parked. So that needs cleaning up - as I am reliably told by wife and neighbour ;lol
• Front brakes: new calipers, bleed and new flexis to go on.
• Rear brakes: new calipers, bleed and new discs and pads.
• New rear spheres.
• Exhaust hanger needs looking at as it's a bit crispy round there. And there're a couple of small bits of welding to do on the inner wings in the usual place.
• Upper speedo cable fitting.
• Might need a new back box.
• Sort tracking as it's off.
• ABS trickery fix.

Then there's the sunroof drain tubes (spring jobbie), CB radio power supply, temp gauge and fan override switch, etc.

So hopefully can be sorted well before the Challenge.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cor, sounds like your having to have as much work on it as Mollie. Good luck to you bud.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Next phase of work started:

• There’s a fuel leak. It's oozing from the seal between the pump and the stop solenoid. I’ve taken it out reseated the O ring and replaced. Still weeping diesel from there. So I have a new solenoid and O ring as well as some recommended PTFE tape. This'll be fitted.
I don’t think diesel’s coming from anywhere else. Although I have some new leak off pipes just in case.

• Double check for any LHM leaks and rectify.

• The PAS works very well - there are no odd knocks or vibrations but… Not only is there a very small amount of play on the straight-ahead, but the steering also feels extremely light in the straight-ahead when driving too. It feels weird. It might have something to do with tracking, which I will have checked, but we'll have a look and see if there’s anything serious... There is a small amount of ‘in/out’ play on the steering wheel too, but I’ve had this on other BXs and its never been a problem. Main thing is I want it safe.

• Rear brakes: Checking condition and replace/service as required (as you all know, a BX’s rear brakes get very little work to do). They’ll need a bleed and the calipers need their pistons LHM lubricating - and the discs and pads need changing.

• Replace rear spheres with new.

• Front brakes; replace front flexi hoses and bleed. I have calipers available if I need them.

• Speedo (it’s stopped working). Dash has been dismantled most of the way. Need to check it hasn’t just popped off (although this is wishful thinking, possibly: it is cracked as Kermit points out) and if necessary fit replacement upper cable (good used one supplied - can’t get new). Lower cable should be fine but potentially have access to a replacement new one..

While dealing with the dash, we'll make sure the wires isolated by the AA when they started to short, are safely isolated and insulated. When refitting dash I think I'll leave off the offside wingnut pod fitting. It’s a bitch and I’ll live without it so long as everything else is secure!

• Welding: the exhaust hanger and wing support (nearside rear) need looking at.

• Check fan operation. (Before the Challenge I'll have a temp gauge and manual fan override switch fitted if I can).
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

No joy with Speedy Cables Phil?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Didn't try them as it's a bit of a faff. I have to supply my old cables as far as I can tell (maybe I'm misunderstanding it) and they use them as a pattern. And it's about £50 inc VAT. Got a replacement upper cable from Rob.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Probably be more economical if Rob could arrange for Speedy Cables to remanufacture a batch of speedo cables.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Good point.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The BX was sold in quite a number of RHD markets, so I'm sure there is a justifiable global demand to make it financially viable for Rob.
Mark Smith