driveshaft for 1.9 diesel

BX Tech talk
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

driveshaft for 1.9 diesel

Post by kernowtim »

I need to replace the right hand (long) driveshaft on my '94 bx diesel, have ordered one through my work from a company called shaftec for the 1.9 diesel but they tell me its now superseded to the slightly dearer 1.9 petrol shaft, number of splines are the same but are there likely to be any other issues?? Got new diff seal and gear oil too ;-)
JayW
1K Away

Re: driveshaft for 1.9 diesel

Post by JayW »

IIRC the TD and 16V were the only ones that used a thicker shaft, all the other XU's used the slightly thinner ones. (I say XU as I'm not sure if the TU/XY are the same or not). In any event, all the XU shafts are interchangeable so it wouldn't be an issue for the n/a diesel.

I would have expected them to have listed the "petrol" and n/a diesel as the same part anyway. (Unless of course by "petrol" they're referring to the 16V thicker shaft, but that would come with an ABS exciter ring by default)

It's fine! :wink:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

Thanks, Could be a job for the weekend then, once I've cleared more space in garage, it was a struggle to get wife's fiesta in!!
Just leaves engine mount and oil leak on my urgent list. And look at our focus estate before the trip to the NEC classic car show :-)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Don't forget the drive shaft seals and the intermediate bearing. The seals are about a tenner and the bearing a 6006 RS (on the petrols, 16v excepted) about 6 quid. Depends whether the new shaft comes with a new bearing. the thicker shafts will have a different size bearing.