ignition coil

BX Tech talk
Phil Brook
Confirmed BX'er

ignition coil

Post by Phil Brook »

My 1600 auto cut out whilst driving I thought it must be damp as it was torrential rain at the time. Couldn't start it so nice RAC man (I'm getting to know them really well!!) got his hammer to coil and away she went. I need to replace said item but find there are various types ranging from just over a tenner to infinity! Anybody able to advise which is the best buy? I aim to keep the car forever but am also afflicted by being from Yorkshire so am unwilling to shell out if there's a good'un to be had for next to nowt!
Philbrook
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: ignition coil

Post by Tinkley »

Check the HT leads first especially the coil to distrubutor one. My 14 went through 2 coils (in 175k) but I've done 110k in 2 1.6s' and not done anything except a lead or two. One did have the ignition module go begore I got it. AFAIK the coil is similar on all 1.6, at least late ones - mine are 91s'. It mounts on the inlet manifold (2 X M6) and is a sort of black block on a plate afair. There should be some reasonable price NOS ones out there.

Worth a substitute of coil to distributor lead first. Inspect carefuly the lead inside the coil end. The nice RAC man who told me my distributor had gone on my 1.4 was completely wrong - it was the coil. Some of those guys are good, and some are barking up the wrong tree so just go through it by numbers. Personally I don't see the point of hammering the coil, more likely to damage it, I'd think, - alternator yes, so I am a little suspicious of the original diagnosis. A bit of corrosion on the lead might have been overcome by the hammer blow - temporarily. Leads also break down internally so should not be rough handled on removal and replacement.

Maybe just me, but I like to change distributor cap and rotor arm every 25k or so, likely leads too as this pretty much ensures no problems and reasonable timing for te spark.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

whooooops
Last edited by citronut on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Phil Brook wrote: got his hammer to coil and away she went.
wont be the coil if he got her going by bashing something with a hammer,
it will be the starter motor he bashed/need new carbon brush's

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

If it is the Starter Motor, the brushes cost £1.60 - the postage was (is?) more. Be very careful when soldering them on, make sure you use a clamp to act as a wicking stopper. The end to the motor body is a very difficult joint to get a good bond too, keep immaculately clean and use the correct flux. Fairly easy to do with the above proviso. Some company in your home county (Yorks) sells the brushes or at least ones that work OK. You will need to check ie remove the motor to double check type and dimensions, before ordering.

Glad it was not just me Citronut, thinking 'Why hit the coil?' :lol:
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Maybe he had a 'magic' hammer like you Malcolm or went to school at Hogwarts!!

Andy
Phil Brook
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Brook »

Turns out it was the ignition amplifier-

Turns out it was the ignition amplifier- new one cost around £20.00
Philbrook
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Glad you nailed it. My current car (1.6) had the carburettor set up completely wrong ie float level at 40mm - it should be 33mm, choke springs removed etc etc all because someone did not go through the electrics enough. Yes, it was that ignition module (amplifier) which needs to be clean seated on very clean part of head to ensure good life. It was changed before I got said car - just at the next MOT, the emissions were so poor it failed, so swapped carb and 0.15% Co resulted.... :wink: