The ICE thread

Anything about BXs
electrokid
1K Away

Re: The ICE thread

Post by electrokid »

Just managed to bag one of these which should sort me bass out. I also stumbled over a decent one I can use in the home for me surround sound!
Nice to see the output specified in real watts - RMS - rather than the over-emphasized 'music power' 'peak music power' nonsense.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Does this boot look familiar?

Taken from an old car audio magazine dated late 1990!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Please tell me this is what you have planned for the next over night CCC meet accompanied with a bottle of wine or two Mat ;)
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Just getting round to tackling the audio..

I've got myself a rather nice head unit. I was thinking I'd go with the Alpine SXE-1350S speakers for ease of fitting. Can anyone confirm the crossover wiring of the original set up? I'm imagining that the tweeters must have an inline HPF and the door speakers are full range. Does that sound right or do the doors have a LPF?

How much space is there under the front seats? Enough for an amp? I've got an old Alpine F12 that's pretty bulky but sounds good. I've also used the Genesis profile 4 before which is usefully fan cooled so you can Jam them somewhere tight and they're pretty small.

I've got a really nice sub kicking around- a tiny 6.5" CDT. It works really well with small enclosures- was thinking I might build a small box under the seat or failing that in the cubby holes above the rear wheels in the estate boot. Are those cubbys actually used for anything aside from jack storage?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Plenty of room under the front seats, so no worries there. You may or may not be aware that the seat base lifts out in seconds just by unclipping a couple of rubber bands underneath the front, so saves removing the whole seat. The original tweeters have an inline LPF as you suspect, and the door speaker sees the full signal.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Nice one Mat, thanks! That's a handy hint regarding the front seat.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

mat_fenwick wrote:unclipping a couple of rubber bands underneath the front, so saves removing the whole seat.
metal spring clips at the front, rubber bands at the back.

My fear of installing equipment under the seats is the day the sunroof drain tubes fail and create a little pond in that area.

It might be worth building a mounting plate like the one the ABS or ECU in a 16v sits on.
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Good tip, thanks. I had a quick look at the seat bases last week and couldn't immediately see how they came up.

I got the Alpine speakers installed today, but I have to say the speakers sound way too brash for my tastes. Playing around with the EQ on the head unit just creates a mess, so I think I'd rather make a hardware attenuator for the tweeter. Anyone done this before?

I'm thinking I'll need an L-pad as just adding a resister in series would alter the crossover frequency of the capacitor, or would it??

To make an L pad I'd need to know the impedance of the tweeter I suppose. Hmmm. Thoughts?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, mine must have been missing the metal clips as I've only ever reached in from the front and unclipped the rubber bands. Explains wy they come out so easily!

I haven't actually done it before, but yes, adding a resistor will lower the cut-off frequency so I guess could cause damage to the tweeter. Or you could alter the vale of the cap to suit?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I feel somewhat ashamed to say, my BX's upgrade comprises a venerable, but (at the time) well-regarded Sony CDX-L580X head unit and a pair of Pioneer 13cm TS-G1321I speakers in the doors! Just need to do something about the rear speakers... although to be honest I haven't even checked if there are any lol!

One O/T question though, as the car has, in addition to the headphone ports, a rear power socket (what size is that - it isn't standard 12v) can I use that to power my CB?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DIN/ISO (4165) socket, which will power the CB fine. Better connection than cigarette lighter sockets. You can get plugs with a removable collar on, so can also be used in the cig lighter socket.

I've wired one to a 4 way splitter, and screwed that to the rear ashtray:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yay! That looks the business... :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Has anyone found a good spot to thread some power through the bulkhead for an amp?

I there's a couple of looms that make their way to the passenger footwell, is that my best bet?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've taken the feed from the power socket on the rear of the centre console - wires are fairly thick (by Citroen standards) and run my amp OK. Fused at 15 amps I think, so should be fine as long as you aren't powering something high current from the socket at the same time. I have run a few extra wires for other stuff through an existing bulkhead grommet, but I can't remember which side it was on!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jackytwoshoes »

Never thought of that! Using power from those sockets would be very handy. It may be a bit under the current that I need for my amp though, which I think can pull 27a. I might assess the wire thickness and put in a bigger fuse...