Ticking Speedo

BX Tech talk
jackytwoshoes
Confirmed BX'er

Ticking Speedo

Post by jackytwoshoes »

My speedo is starting to drive me nuts..

It wobbles ever so slightly accompanied by a very annoying tick. Does that point to a new cable?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Ticking Speedo

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes, the cables getting tired, I would try removing the old one, lubricating it with oil and refitting to see if you can get it to last longer. Also see where the join of the two cables is in relation to the bulkhead, sometimes you can let in some slack by pushing the join as far as you can towards the bulkhead which relieves tension on the upper cable, this worked a treat in my TZI, also it seems to do it less when warm.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Definitely lubricate the cable, if you have the "funnel fitting" disconnect from the speedo, set it vertical ,fill with 3in1 oil and leave it to permeate down the cable overnight. (maybe even a second fill for good measure)

The ticking is most likely the pawls on the trip odometer that are bouncing because they are dry after all these years. Take the can off the speedo and lubricate the trip mechanism ONLY, taking care not to get oil over anything else.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

I wouldn't necessarily blame the cable,, mine in the GT does the same thing, but worse, and, in my case it is because the odometre and trip metre finally failed. So instead of smoothly turning over the digits it clicks on the worn cog/bit and flicks the needle at the same time..

I wouldn't be surprized to see your odo/trip metre soon cease.. and then case a louder click and bigger flick of the needle

kinda like W2G suggested
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed