Hydraulic return pipe question

BX Tech talk
paulwitchard
BXpert

Hydraulic return pipe question

Post by paulwitchard »

The problem is with the hydraulic return system in the area around the gearbox / gear change mechanism. There is a small T piece there which has broken. I have another T piece which I salvaged from another car, and have found and connected the two bits that come from the end of the octopus part laying along the crossmember, and the part that goes to the front disc area.
I found the short length of plastic pipe that goes into the other end, and thought that I would be able to pull off the broken rubber bit - but no the short length of pipe came out with the broken bit on it, and I have no idea where it goes back!
If you can understand what I'm babbling on about and know where it goes back to I would be most grateful for the assistance.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Hydraulic return pipe question

Post by Tinkley »

If the Y junctions or T pieces are breaking, you should also change your accumulator sphere as when these get low they put more pressure in the return system. Not quite sure where your 'joint' is though sorry.

You will have PAS on that Millesme model too, so check the feed/return into that.
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

I suspect that it has 'broken up' as a result of changing the steering rack - the old one was leaking all over the place so its had an exchange one fitted.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

IIRC this T piece connects the leak-off of the Pressure regulator at the front of the engine and the leak-off of the security valve at the back.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if you are saying you have the short length of plastic that connects into one of the ports on the three way union, and this short length of plastic pipe has a short length of rubber pipe attached to one end, and the other end has a small plastic bit inside,
this broken off bit is from the safety valve that is situated on the sub frame just behind the N/S/F suspension arm

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Thanks for the help - with the benefit of hindsight I should have looked at where the pipe went before I started pulling on it - presumably the safety valve is the small round part with the electrical connection and the rubber cover over it?
paulwitchard
BXpert

Post by paulwitchard »

Many thanks Malcolm - bang on the money as usual - problem now sorted.