The Octopus......

BX Tech talk
Mothman

Re: The Octopus......

Post by Mothman »

rmattila wrote:You can always make your own cephalopod: http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... us_change/
Why should you need to make one when the original item is still readily available from Citroen and the more we keep ordering them, the longer they will keep supplying them.

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

or you could go to the sea life center as they usually have sick squid :roll: #-o scratch... :) :lol: :rofl:

i'll get me coat

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Whilst we're on the subject of rubbery parts, I might need a steering coupling (aka Hardy disc??) and assume the part is common across the range. Any part number? If the disc deteriorates with age what are the symptoms and if it fails are the consequences as bad as I imagine they might be?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Mothman wrote:
rmattila wrote:You can always make your own cephalopod: http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... us_change/
Why should you need to make one when the original item is still readily available from Citroen and the more we keep ordering them, the longer they will keep supplying them.

Andy
Because the rubber in the Polish part they sell today is nowhere near the original quality. If the rubber cracks, you're back to square 1, whereas with the self-made part you only need to replace the offending pipe.
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of rubbery parts, I might need a steering coupling (aka Hardy disc??) and assume the part is common across the range. Any part number? If the disc deteriorates with age what are the symptoms and if it fails are the consequences as bad as I imagine they might be?
Them's nla bud and like hen's teeth. Rob Moss has a supply made up and occasionally they turn up on ebay but good luck there.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

rmattila wrote:
Mothman wrote:

Andy
Because the rubber in the Polish part they sell today is nowhere near the original quality. If the rubber cracks, you're back to square 1, whereas with the self-made part you only need to replace the offending pipe.
The rubber front suspension leak off pipes seem to last for years and they come from Poland compared with the GSF ones which dont make 12 months so ile take my chances.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks guys. So if I do need a disc I'll go to Rob...
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Mothman wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:Whilst we're on the subject of rubbery parts, I might need a steering coupling (aka Hardy disc??) and assume the part is common across the range. Any part number? If the disc deteriorates with age what are the symptoms and if it fails are the consequences as bad as I imagine they might be?
Them's nla bud and like hen's teeth. Rob Moss has a supply made up and occasionally they turn up on ebay but good luck there.

Andy
It's great that they're being remade but I'm pretty sure Peugeot / Citroen used a common part across many cars and these are still available much cheaper than the remade BX ones:

on ebay..

I bought some even cheaper ones recently that fitted only needing a slight modification...

Had to replace the original one on my H reg diesel - had intermittent PAS when cold that may have added to the wear but I didn't notice any obvious steering problems - my J reg. TZD will also need the disc replacing soon.... I wouldn't want one to fail when driving! and definite MOT fail I expect if obviously perishing.
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The rubber 'doughnut' is a different part between PAS and non PAS cars. IIRC a Rover Metro part can be adapted to fit.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

You can change a non pas into a pas one quite easily so Malcolm says. Also, the ebayer is now not accepting bids cos i just tried.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just ordered the three from Citroen (Quest) and managed to get a small trade discount.... About £165 all in... Even if a repair is possible, for piece of mind, I'll get the whole lot fitted and it's one less thing to worry about. Likewise the steering coupling and tracking.
BXImage
Confirmed BX'er

Post by BXImage »

I just changed octopus on my Image in past 5 days - had some other things to deal with too, so engine had to go out. It is a bit costy, but it worths every penny. I changed octopus, squid and return pipe form brake cylinder, hope it will last for a few years.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mothman wrote:

Andy

..that_ I'm very much in this camp too, never understood anyone wanting to make up a bodge one when they are actually a very reliable item lasting 15yrs +. replace and forget!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm hoping to get the BX to Rob Moss in the next few weeks and he'll fit the ones I've obtained direct from Citroen. :)