Steering rack grease

BX Tech talk
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Steering rack grease

Post by Mark.T »

Hello
I'm replacing split bellows on the steering rack (PAS) of my 19TRS and I think a lot of the grease has been lost (bellows had been split for some time). Are there any recommendations for suitable grease to use here? What is left looks like LMM but I'm not sure. Any advice welcome.
Cheers
Mark
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Re: Steering rack grease

Post by Slagtrooper »

I think it's standard grease, the LHM only actuates the rod.
Let's wait for more advices, i need to do this too
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's justs standard Castrol LM grease or equivalent. Put some on the rack and a splodge inside the bellows before closing the ends. :-)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Personally I would put the Lithium grease (gold colour) on but use the version with added Molybdenum (and probably graphite) as this resists salt water much better. It is a 'black' colour, version sold by a number of vendors - Castrol , Morris, etc I found it much more resistant to road salt etc on m/cycles especially on head races and swinging arm bearings. I am well aware of the calcium loaded so called 'marine' lithium version but have found in pratice the Molybdenum/graphite version superior to the plain or calcium laoded versions in the real world.... :wink:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

The purpose of the rack gaitors is to keep the water, muck and "foreign bodies" out. LM style grease lubricating properties are likely higher in minimising wear. ;-)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The LM is a 'pure' Lithium and is best for relatively high speed rotating bearings ie wheel. The modified versions only have a percent or two of added 'extras' to help in different applications ie marine. The steering rack is not IMHO a high speed rotating mechanism but would take advantage of the lower corrosion properties of the Moly/graphite addition.

Changed too many trailer bearings (taper needle roller)!, the marine ones with 'correct' grease last maybe 8 months to a year...... :wink:
so I tend to take apart and refurbish at that interval. We have found that the calcium grease is not as good as the Moly/graphite version and also a red and blue modified version of a base LM grease. The red grease used by diggers and other plant machinery is perfectly suitable for the steering rack, though I'm not sure of the base
Good fun when the wheel comes off (they have) and you have near a ton of RIB (with 40HP motor) on it.... :lol:

TBH any half decent grease will do, but I put corrosion resistance quite high when the application is exposed to road salt and dirt. The gaiters won't keep everything out and have to 'breathe' a bit. Manufacturers such as Aprilia have changed to using the Moly/graphite version of the LM grease, presumably they have found the same as myself over the years.

Quite a few of us have changed rear arm bearings and the type of grease there. It seems the earlier cars had 'better' grease than the later ones. I used the Moly/graphite LM on them and zero trouble in 62k+.