B*ll*cks :(

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

B*ll*cks :(

Post by cavmad »

Saw a pool forming or formed under my BX last couple of days and did the usual bloke thing and ignored it, hoping it was from someone else`s car.
Was it? Was it **** as like. The red lights of doom came on tonight on the way home from work and luckily it got me back without issue.
Popped the bonnet to see what was going on: low on the magic green elixr, so had a shufty under the car as nothing obvious in engine bay.
The leak appears to be coming from a joint near the n/s drive shaft thingy just above the subframe.
There`s a thin pipe which connects to a large `piece` (some sort of union or octopus?) and it`s leaking from there.
Too much crud to be able to tell but can someone please tell me if this pipe is a simple `cut and re-connect` job or am I going to have to replace the bit it joins into too?
Apologies for the not-very-technical description btw!
Vauxhall apologist.
Toddman
BXpert

octocat

Post by Toddman »

Does sound like the octopus :(
Chances are it can be repaired it all depends how close to the main body of the rubber octopus that the damage has occurred.
But to be honest it is better to replece the lot as the part is only just under £30 and is well worth the effort.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Knackers :oops: I was hoping the octopus was on the other side of the car.
Thanks for the info though, at least I have an idea of what`s going to be involved now.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

couple of hours in a car park in Salford! Or thats hwat happened to your last BX which is running like a train!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If your leak is coming from the near side, just above the subframe, chances are you've blown off the pipe which comes from the regulator. This is a thin clear coloured pipe.

Does it fit into a T junction. If so simply reconnect, but you may need a new accumalator sphere.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

n/s is your passenger side ? then its the cars LHS :roll:

There is a leak-off pipe from the safety valve just inside wheelarch above the subframe. This is connected to mentioned return pipe above (from PR).
It may simply be split because of general rotten rubber in this 180deg sharp bend found here. The leak is then not from the safety valve - but likely the PR which then leaks "backwards" through this split hose.
You then just need some 2-300mm lenght of fresh rubber hose (fuel hose is fine) 3mm internal dia.

X-ing fingers its that simple - as it is a very common problem indeed ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

I thought the octopus was on the O/S (RHS)? I saw a picture of one on here not long ago, and suddenly realised that I hadnt even noticed the one on my car when the engine was out- I had a look for it on the TRS the other day and thought it was a complex rubbery pipe junction that was on the offside, just above the subframe.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I thought I had the same problem and as the car wasn't loosing much fluid (1 litre in 6 mths) decided it would be Ok to go on holiday in it about 3 years ago. half way through my holiday I go round a roundabout and the stop light flickers - so I pull up - look at the level and decide that I can get home. I park the thing up on the campsite and notice an oily stain on the grass so know that its ben dropping some LHM.

I investigate next morning - and see drops on the nearside curly pipe. I assumed this had come from above due to octopus problems and as I didn't want to fix it in the middle of my holiday it would be Ok - and indeed it was and I only added 1 litre.

At home the MOT was due and I thought I'd let the tester find it and hopefully fix it. To my surprise it passed with no comments - and I knew that the time had come to investigate.

Getting underneath I looked very carefully at the curly steel pipe and found that a plastic clip had chaffed through the steel pipe - which was rather important as its the one from the regulator to the safety valve! Cost about £23 for a new Citroen black pipe.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou kind people, a glimmer of hope! It is indeed coming from the nearside, I did think the octopus was on the off side. Also Ken, as you say it`s the thin clear coloued pipe. As of yet I`ve been unable to see how it fits in though praying it`s a simple T piece as you suggest. It was a long day at work yesterday, or rather a bad one, but on earlies today so will check again when I get home. I need to clean the area up first to check, as it`s a bit mucky under there at present.
As ever thanks for your help folks, this is what makes this such a great forum along with everyone`s friendliness.
Report back later, and who knows I might even fix my non-shutting estate hatch door while I`m there!
Vauxhall apologist.
Toddman
BXpert

octopus

Post by Toddman »

Oops! sorry for scaring you cavmad.
I must of misread your post as I know the octopus is on the drivers side.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com