Brake calliper issues!

BX Tech talk
adamskibx
BXpert

Brake calliper issues!

Post by adamskibx »

Ive got a problem with my BX that has rendered it off the road for the next few days at least. Noticed a strange sound when braking at high speed or when the brakes are hot. Inspected the nearside brake, everything was fine, but the offside pads were very low (but no warning light told me) I knew this caliper was sticking a bit and the protective rubber bellow was split, so I thought I might as well swap it for the reasonably new caliper off the spare BX TRS. I screwed the flexible brake hose in and for some reason, the threads got ripped out before it had even got close to going all the way in. I though, well i'll have to make do with the original caliper with new pads until I get a new caliper sorted out, so I put this caliper back on (after having confirmed that the thread was ok on the end of the flexible hoze). Unfortunately, the same thing happened again. Im going to try and sort out a new caliper in the next day or so, but, can ayone tell me where I can get a new flexible hoze from, and what precautions should be taken in attatching the hose to the caliper (I was as careful as possible in screwing it in etc).

Regards, Adam
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

You are screwing steel into ally here so great care is needed. Dont use a spanner and keep the hose and caliper precisely aligned for the first few turns.

GSF and probably most motor factors keep hoses in stock. Dont forget the ABS hose is different.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

Hi

I had a similar experience a few years back. I had to replace both flexi hoses for the MOT. Both hoses came off and went on ok, but when it came to bleeding the brakes, the nipple on the o/s caliper removed the threads on the way out!

What you and I have experienced is that extreme care and caution is called for when working on front calipers! :D
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

You may be on to something there Richard! Im going to make fitting the new hose to the new caliper a careful process with military precision lol! Dont want to waste £60!
richard
BXpert

Post by richard »

Hi

I think if you are fitting new parts to a new caliper you should be ok. IMO the problem is when the hoses, pipes and nipples have been on the caliper for years and the have bonded themselves to the caliper. This is only made worse because the caliper is alloy and everything that screws into it is steel!
Thats what I think anyway :D
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Resolved! New caliper (well, reconditioned by the looks of it), and flexi pipe. However the pipe didnt screw in all the way. I didnt tighten it to try and get it in more, but unscrewed it, and came to the conclusion that the threaded section on the flexi pipe was longer than the threaded section inside the caliper.