The N REG!

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: The N REG!

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:
Kitch wrote:I wonder why it keeps changing hands so often?
:?: :?: It hasn't, one owner until 'Tourist' bought it and sold it to me without using it as he couldn't insure it, Then I owned it for 4 years before selling it to the current owner. So in reality 3 owners in 19 years!

I swear it's been up for sale twice since you sold it? This time and the previous time? Unless it never actually sold?

Carry on, ignore me :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

citronut wrote:
Kitch wrote:You've got to really want a TizzyDee to pay that much for one.

not if you look at how much Mr A Adams is handing over the Mr R Moss it aint a lot at all

regards malcolm
I have no idea how much he's handing over, and nor do I want to know :!:

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:I swear it's been up for sale twice since you sold it? This time and the previous time? Unless it never actually sold?
Yes it has been up for sale but it never actually sold mate.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Defender110 wrote:
Paul296 wrote: I think anything from £1800 - £2300 is about right for that car.
I don't, I sold it for a £1000 last year and it failed to sell when it was last put up for sale at £2000 shortly afterwards. I think it would need to be totally fault free before fetching record money for TZD. They haven't gone up in value in reality with many still failing to sell.
Some interesting points made on this and previous threads. It seems we'd all like BX values to increase, yet every time one comes up for sale there are those rightly or wrongly insist that they are overvalued. Perhaps we all think our cars are worth more than they really are because we have some emotional attachment or want some return for all the money spent on them.

Should I ever need to sell my GTi I'd be concerned about being slated on here for what I'd want, although I should add I do not have a value in mind! From my perspective I've owned the car for 13 years, it runs well, doesn't get thrashed, doesn't have much rust, has a good interior, it's only failed the MOT 2 or 3 times and has been very well (i.e. expensively!) looked after. Indeed just this morning when it was in Medway Citroen one of the mechanics said "he looks after this better than his missus!" However from from everyone else's perspective it is a car in pretty much original condition but with 24 years of knocks and scrapes in desperate need of a paint job largely due to the failing lacquer. i.e. not worth much. Possibly the basis of a good car for someone who can do the bodywork themselves or cheaply. In part I haven't done that work because the car is always parked on the street at risk of damage but mainly because of the cost, which could be in the region of £2000 and not something I can currently justify. Bearing that in mind and on the assumption that that white TZD is in at least as good mechanical condition and is excellent body and paint wise then it becomes good value compared to restoring my car. In the end it's whatever the market will stand and what people will pay on the day , but I think we should all err on the side of promoting the value of the BX as a great car to help strengthen values. And yes if I had the resources to restore my GTi you'll all be queuing at the door for it!

Coming back to the TZD being the last registered there is always this kudos for firsts and lasts, it's the same in railway preservation, although perhaps last made rather than last registered would interest me more.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

deltic wrote:
Defender110 wrote:
Paul296 wrote: I think anything from £1800 - £2300 is about right for that car.
I don't, I sold it for a £1000 last year and it failed to sell when it was last put up for sale at £2000 shortly afterwards. I think it would need to be totally fault free before fetching record money for TZD. They haven't gone up in value in reality with many still failing to sell.
Some interesting points made on this and previous threads. It seems we'd all like BX values to increase, yet every time one comes up for sale there are those rightly or wrongly insist that they are overvalued. Perhaps we all think our cars are worth more than they really are because we have some emotional attachment or want some return for all the money spent on them.

Should I ever need to sell my GTi I'd be concerned about being slated on here for what I'd want, although I should add I do not have a value in mind! From my perspective I've owned the car for 13 years, it runs well, doesn't get thrashed, doesn't have much rust, has a good interior, it's only failed the MOT 2 or 3 times and has been very well (i.e. expensively!) looked after. Indeed just this morning when it was in Medway Citroen one of the mechanics said "he looks after this better than his missus!" However from from everyone else's perspective it is a car in pretty much original condition but with 24 years of knocks and scrapes in desperate need of a paint job largely due to the failing lacquer. i.e. not worth much. Possibly the basis of a good car for someone who can do the bodywork themselves or cheaply. In part I haven't done that work because the car is always parked on the street at risk of damage but mainly because of the cost, which could be in the region of £2000 and not something I can currently justify. Bearing that in mind and on the assumption that that white TZD is in at least as good mechanical condition and is excellent body and paint wise then it becomes good value compared to restoring my car. In the end it's whatever the market will stand and what people will pay on the day , but I think we should all err on the side of promoting the value of the BX as a great car to help strengthen values. And yes if I had the resources to restore my GTi you'll all be queuing at the door for it!

Coming back to the TZD being the last registered there is always this kudos for firsts and lasts, it's the same in railway preservation, although perhaps last made rather than last registered would interest me more.
Some good points there. I agree, I think we should be talking values up, not down. We are a capitalist nation, afterall :lol:

Agree with the reg date too - last RP number would interest me more. Mine was built in January 1990, but not registered until Jan 1991, but I'm starting to refer to it as a 1990 car.

Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Increased values are nothing compared to the lack of depreciation to be had. I ran the car for 4 years as an everyday vehicle with zero depreciation. Many people are buying new cars and losing more than this cost me the minute they drive it out of the show room and losing many times the value each year they run their new cars as I myself have done previously. Running a car with zero depreciation can save you thousands of pounds without it actually going up in value. It really doesn't matter what they are worth as long as you can run them without losing any money.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:Increased values are nothing compared to the lack of depreciation to be had. I ran the car for 4 years as an everyday vehicle with zero depreciation. Many people are buying new cars and losing more than this cost me the minute they drive it out of the show room and losing many times the value each year they run their new cars as I myself have done previously. Running a car with zero depreciation can save you thousands of pounds without it actually going up in value. It really doesn't matter what they are worth as long as you can run them without losing any money.
I think that's the flip side of the coin - the person who wants to run a BX as a daily driver. I don't anymore (I keep saying that, and then end up using it all the time anyway) but it makes sense to try and keep values low for someone who uses it as a daily runner.
For someone who keeps it as a toy, it's ideal if the values fly up. The zero-depreciation is something I benefitted from for a number of years (having bought mine in 2004 for £700), but now I've got the added bonus of increased value, as I reckon I could probably get £1500 for BAH, if I was to sell. Maybe more if I iron out all the wrinkles.

So I think you'll two sides of the coin - people who talk the values down as they want to keep them cheap to buy and source parts for, and people who talk the values up as an investment is a lovely thing to have. Having cars appear in big-time publicity machines such as Practical Classics and Pistonheads recently has been raising the exposure on the cars, and I don't think it's any coincidence the values have noticeably been climbing since the more recent features have appeared. They're a way off yet, but the BX is beginning to transit from affordable banger, into modern classic.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Kitch wrote:
They're a way off yet, but the BX is beginning to transit from affordable banger, into modern classic.
Pity someone forgot to tell the pikeys round here.... :wink:
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

deltic wrote:
Some interesting points made on this and previous threads. Perhaps we all think our cars are worth more than they really are because we have some emotional attachment or want some return for all the money spent on them
Yes the number of times I see cars advertised at inflated values because the car has just had £xyz spent on repairs that the owner is trying to recoup.
If you spend £1000 having an engine or gearbox repaired it doesn't make the car worth any more than a car that already has a good engine/gearbox. Same if you have £1000 spent on having a car welded it doesn't make it worth any more than the car that didn't need any welding. Any money spent on repairs & maintenance may make a car more saleable but it doesn't increase it's market value.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202