excessive fluid returning?

BX Tech talk
Alastair
BXpert

excessive fluid returning?

Post by Alastair »

1.9 diesel BX (non turbo)..Estate...there is a clear plastic pipe, a return pipe, which sits under the fifth sphere at the front... It keeps detaching its self and spilling fluid.....Whats the cause and cure please?.....No amount of clips etc will make it stay put!!
Many thanks
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Bx 17 TZD diesel turbo 1992
Xantia 1.8 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Re: excessive fluid returning?

Post by mds141 »

I think that's a breather pipe for the LHM reservoir. Has the reservoir been overfilled?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the plastic pipe at the underside of the regulator is a seepage return for various hydraulic components in the system, i comes from a little rubber three way union on top of the front sub frame and below the battery tray,

the usual cause of this popping off is the accumulator sphere flat or as near as damn it,

my TZD was popping this pipe several times last month, till it decided the pop it of at the three way union :roll: #-o ,

my regulator was not ticking - flat accumulator sphere, i swapped the complete regulator including the sphere, this seems to have stopped now, at least for the time being

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I'd second Malcolm wise advice - the accumulator is most likely flat and needs replacing. If you don't another T or Y junction will fail etc etc.
Alastair
BXpert

Post by Alastair »

That makes sense I have a 5 Dr diesel hatch that is currently being broken it has a relatively new accumulator sphere is this likely to be comparable with the estate one? Otherwise I can get one sourced tomorrow.
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Xantia 1.8 16v
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

all BX accumulator spheres are the same, apart from flat or charged up one's that is

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

I had exactly the same issue on my bx diesel. I found fluid on the drive checked underneath and the plastic return pipe had been disconnected from the accumulator leakback connections. I promptly connected it back up again and used clips to retain the pipe and then a week later the same thing happened again. I thought how strange, anyway I eventually found the reason. I dont think for one minute this answer is going to help you in anyway but here it goes. A rat was using the inside of the engine compartment as protection from my terrier dog. The dog was caught ripping at the pipe trying to get to the rat and he also chewed through radiator temp/level wire, little monkey.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

pwykes wrote:I had exactly the same issue on my bx diesel. I found fluid on the drive checked underneath and the plastic return pipe had been disconnected from the accumulator leakback connections. I promptly connected it back up again and used clips to retain the pipe and then a week later the same thing happened again. I thought how strange, anyway I eventually found the reason. I dont think for one minute this answer is going to help you in anyway but here it goes. A rat was using the inside of the engine compartment as protection from my terrier dog. The dog was caught ripping at the pipe trying to get to the rat and he also chewed through radiator temp/level wire, little monkey.

that mouse-t be a first :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Alastair
BXpert

Post by Alastair »

New sphere purchased and fitted on Saturday as suggested. Will let you know progress. Out of a matter of interest tho what specifically is the function of the fifth sphere?
Bx turbo diesel 1989
Bx 1.9 Rd estate 1989
Citroen Light 15 1952
Xantia 1.8 16v
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The accumulator sphere acts as a store of pressure in case of HP pressure failing, enabling you to maintain steering and braking. A flat accumulator sphere causes the HP pump to run excessively, resulting in premature failure of said pump.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

mds141 wrote:The accumulator sphere acts as a store of pressure in case of HP pressure failing, enabling you to maintain steering and braking. A flat accumulator sphere causes the HP pump to run excessively, resulting in premature failure of said pump.
its mainly a back up pressure reserve for the bakes only,

the pump is running continuously all the time so a flat sphere should not hurt it, its the regulator that can sustain damage through constantly cutting in and out ( ticking ), because constant ticking is hammering the internal components of said regulator

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote:
mds141 wrote:The accumulator sphere acts as a store of pressure in case of HP pressure failing, enabling you to maintain steering and braking. A flat accumulator sphere causes the HP pump to run excessively, resulting in premature failure of said pump.
its mainly a back up pressure reserve for the bakes only,

the pump is running continuously all the time so a flat sphere should not hurt it, its the regulator that can sustain damage through constantly cutting in and out ( ticking ), because constant ticking is hammering the internal components of said regulator.

regards malcolm

You are both concentrating on the secondary (but nevertheless important) function of the accumulator. Its primary purpose is to smooth out the delivery of hydraulic system pressure. Its function is similar to an air receiver tank used with an air compressor.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Way2go wrote: Its primary purpose is to smooth out the delivery of hydraulic system pressure.
not the hole system but just to damp the operation of the regulator ( or as citroen call it a circuit breaker ) switching in and out
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

just to add.. i had this and replacing the sphere fixed the problem
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

The fleet:
1992 Citroen BX 19TXD
1972 VW Camper
1969 Triumph Spitfire MKIII
1984 Kawasaki Z750
2002 Ibiza Seat
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I am surprised that nobody mentioned the easy way to test the accumulator by sitting on the back end of the car after switching off and waiting for a good rise.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.