For Sale - BX 19 TXD Grey K reg - No MOT

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

For Sale - BX 19 TXD Grey K reg - No MOT

Post by loftus.hall »

I took my BX to the garage (Brodies in North London) for it's MOT and an LHM leak repair and they found some welding that needs doing.
The front of the driver side rear wheel arch, behind the rear passenger door when it's opened, has gone and has rusted on the inside of the sill and around the inside of the wheel arch too.
They never put it in for its MOT so it hasn't failed but would - and it runs out today, so its for sale with no MOT - unless you collect it tonight!

I can't do the welding myself - so as a result it's too expensive to repair. The LHM leak is the left part of the Octopus, I've driven about 1500 miles with the leak and got through 3 bottles so it's not soo bad but does need sorting. If It was just the LHM leak i'd get it repaired.

It's a real shame as the rest of the car is in really great condition. It runs really well, goes up and down like it should. I've used it in London do drive down to my parents in Cornwall so it's done a lot of motorway miles sat on the M4 M5 and A30. I bought it 5 years ago from an old chap in Gloucestershire who was selling it as couldn't drive anymore with about 170k on the clock and now it has just ticked over 200k.
The interior is a red and black diagonal stripe pattern, like the grey and black but less common apparently, and completely doesn't look like a car that has done 200k - it looks great,
The sunroof works and doesn't leak, the heaters work, the fan speeds work, the front and rear windscreen washers work, the gauges all work - fuel gauge gets occasionally temperamental when it's almost empty but the light works when it's completely empty. trip counter doesn't work.
Central locking on all but but the passenger rear door works
It could do with a wash at the moment but when it has and been waxed it looks great.

Car is in London - offers welcome - would be sad to break it and sadder still to scrap it.

It'll be going up on eBay too so pictures will be on there - how do you get pictures on here?
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Re: For Sale - BX 19 TXD Grey K reg - No MOT

Post by loftus.hall »

A bit more detail about it,
The old chap who I bought it from didn't have much history for it so I took a chance on it, and it was a good one. It has been a great car until this rust was discovered. It requires the sill being welded up and is expensive as the garage need to remove the fuel tank to do it safely. The cost isn't apparently in the welding, it is in removing stuff to be safe enough to weld up.

When bought 5 years ago I had a new cam belt and water pump fitted -
It has a had a replacement LHM pump fitted about 3 years ago as the old one was a bit leaky.
Rear passenger wheel bearing replaced about 2 years ago
Passenger side steering rack gaiter replaced about 2 years ago.
Small union for the LHM return replaced this winter above the drivers side rear wheel.

I tend not to use it much in London so as a result it had quite an easy life for the last few years. It starts every time even after its been left for a month in the winter and has never failed except when I left the radio on for 3 weeks.

I've kept the car in good condition and although not documented my oil changes done them every 7000 miles or so, it needs one now and there's oil and a new filter in the boot ready to go.

Pictures below - more to follow of the weld area that needs attention and the interior

Theres this dent on the passenger side front wing

If anyone would like to come collect it please make me an offer,
Car is located about a mile from the A12 in East London
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Post by loftus.hall »

Here's some details of the rusty hole behind the rear drivers door

Also had two new front tyres on in December and has had a few new bits to the exhaust too.
I'll dig out all the history properly on the weekend
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I've not seen one gone that bad before but it's mendable but will need welding.

I like the Xantia side repeaters!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if thats the extent of the welding required, i would be interested,mainly to men and sell on,

only problem's though are lake of funds and somewhere to park her #-o :roll:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Post by loftus.hall »

That is probably the worst bit of the welding but not all of it. The reason that bit is so large is because a large part of the hole was filler that must have been patched and resprayed earlier on. When we poked around with a screw driver on what was a hole about the size of a 50p with a couple of cracks coming of it most of what you see there fell out!

The welding is a bit more than just the outer skin, the end of the sill has gone too, the vertical wall with a little rubber bung in in front of the rear wheel is not there any more (though I have the bung still) and there is a gap opened up on the inside of the wheel arch opposite this bigger hole in the photos.

Its this inner crack which is apparently the issue. From what the garage said, its not that it's difficult to weld but the access is tough because of the diesel tank. They wanted to remove the tank for access. Whether this is because they weren't happy welding close to the tank or whether the crack goes behind the tank I don't know as I never saw underneath it. about 75% of the weld repair cost was getting the sub frame and the tank out the way.

At the moment i'd like to try and get something for it and I haven't stuck it up on eBay yet either to try my luck there before offering it away for free. I would be happier it gets to live another day though as it really great inside and the engine happily bowls along the motorway - it's an ideal car for the long drives to cornwall - soo comfy

The interior by the way is the black and red GTi interior with no tears or rips, it has some colour fade to the red on the seats so the door cards are a more saturated red, the only one i've seen perfect though is my dads who got a gti interior in a car that'd been used once a year by an aussie guy who came over and kept his bx in the dark in a garage for the rest of the year he was gone and mine still looks ok next to that!

At the moment i'm getting back too late and its too dark to take photos of the rest of it but on the weekend i'm clearing all my stuff out and will put more pics up then.

If anyone wants to take a look the car is 10mins on the tube from Liverpool St - pm me if you want the address.
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Post by loftus.hall »

REALLY ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-BX-/2 ... 3f48c616e2
Seems like a lot or am I missing something!
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

You're not missing anything but GreenlanePaddy is! :P :lol:
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the registration is apt for a French car,
and once the green is washed of it might be a very good car

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
loftus.hall
Confirmed BX'er

Post by loftus.hall »

So I think someone is going to take the car to restore it and do the welding, As a result it hasn't gone on eBay but i did take some pictures of it on the weekend while clearing it out.

\Image