gear change

BX Tech talk
charlie
BXpert

gear change

Post by charlie »

hi all......

its getting more and more difficult to find and change gears in my 19tzx.......

have to use a bit of force to select..........

got some time next week so was going to get the old bx on some ramps and see if i could cure it.......

but as usual will need some tips/help from all you experts to get me started ..............

could it be low gear oil......

so where do i top it up......

worn linkage........

or will a drop of grease do.....

???????????

many thanks.............

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Evening Charlie and welcome along by the way. I`m by far the least mechanically minded on here but from what I`ve gleaned from others it does sound like it MIGHT be your gearbox oil being low. If you go to the `home page` of this site there are various technical pages I believe, hopefully there`ll be one there to accomodate your gearbox.
Failing that one of the more learned gents will be along soon I`m sure to tell you how to go about it.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Could be the clutch cable needs adjusting too, if its worse in first and reverse that would indicate it. If you have floor mats that stop the pedal touching to the carpet take it out and try changing gear with your foot hard down.

If it improves its either your clutch needs adjusting or replacing.
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Clutch pedal must be 140mm above any mat level ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Welcome aboard, re your clutch, if theres no adjustment left then its clutch time, reverse is the first to go. it just wont go in, stop the motor, it slips straight in, classic bx clutch, if symptoms not as described, come back.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

A little more detail about your gearchange problems wuld help - like is the thing as stiff when moved with the engine turned off. If it is then its unlikely to be clutch.

Linkages must be well lubricated - spray grease is handy for getting at some of it. The linkage must also be carefully adjusted. the points are the small transverse links at the front. Dimensions are given in Haynes.
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

will try gear change later today with engine off...........

no problem with selecting reverse, as i remember, but will check.......

the only thing is it seems to get worse the longer i use the car.....

but thanks all for the advice will keep you posted as i go along.........
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Hi Charlie - how's life in Cardiff? Long time no see. Suggest you do check the gearbox level first. On a late -engined BX it's a 19mm bolthead on the bottom l/h of the vertical face of the gearbox housing, seen from the l/h wheelarch (Haynes has pics). Use a Short socket or ring spanner, and a turn to the left on the steering wheel aids access.

G/box oil (the right stuff's at GSF) should be filled until it just starts overflowing from this aperture. The most likely candidate for leakage is prob. the driveshaft seals at the differential, but a top-up with gearbox oil is a lot cheaper in the short term than a new gearbox if you can't bring yourself to take the driveshafts out and replace those seals just yet.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

:D .......

i was wondering who i'd bump into.........

long time......

well i suppose so :wink:.......

just getting the bx ready for the annual tour de france.........

how are you???????

life in england seems to suit you.......
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I can get used to life in a variety of places..... but Southern Hampshire's where my kids are. Still making forays back across the Severn from time to time, though less often than it used to be. Hope you can resolve the oily, geary thing successfully before going. Don't rely on it being the lowest-down bolt - I'd check Haynes or other sources before unbolting, though I think it's the only 19mm in that location.

Hope you and family are well.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.