coolant

BX Tech talk
citroen7
BXpert

coolant

Post by citroen7 »

changed the radiator on the xantia at the weekend after much fiddling and reading of various threads and was shocked to see the botom 3 rows just fall out anyway new one in but was trawling through the haynes and no reference to antifreeze percentage so all you boffins where do i find the rellavent info for xantia and bx?
M

Post by M »

I think the Handbook has the % guidelines in it. I tend to run about 50/50 which some will say is probably too high. Marine diesel engines run at 100% (I think thats to avoid the accidental adding of salt water).
Im fairly sure that for UK driving conditions 35% antifreeze is considered about right.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

i must have a rubbish book cant even find coolant capacity anyway i just bucked the whole 5 ltrs of antifreeze in and she has behaved ever since,just need to sort the air con out now and the mrs will leave me alone to watch the football and tinker with the bxs
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think I have seen (couln't find it when I last looked) some research by Rolls Royce suggesting that 30% glycol was about the best mix for heat transfer. More glycol and it didn't conduct the heat so well.

To be honest I tend to overfil at times - then top up with water should it be needed. (I know if I was organised I'd mix up a 30% mix for top up purposes)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

If you get G12+ coolant they all seem to have mixing instructions on the back of them. For the TD it works out as 1 litre of G12+ to what ever else you can get in! Doesn't half keep things cool its creepy!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Its best to put too much antifreeze in that not enough though?I want to flush the 16v and the xantia before winter,