Replacing 1.9d fuel pipes

BX Tech talk
mikesg
Good Old boy

Replacing 1.9d fuel pipes

Post by mikesg »

Hi BXperts. .
I need to replace the fuel pipes on my K reg tgd. I've got a pair of pipes sorted but I would like any advice on fitting them please. What else might be required apart from th pipes etc. The local French car outfit would charge £50 + vat per hour for 2 hrs work and my budget will not stand that so i'll have a go myself. Any advice will be thankfully received. (I have a jack & axle stands)
Thanks for looking.
Mike
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Replacing 1.9d fuel pipes

Post by ken newbold »

Lift up the back seat and remove the black plastic disc nearest the nearside of car. Unplug the rubber pipes from the fuel tank before you start.
Might pay to have some appropriate size jubilee clips ready and maybe a junior hacksaw. Every pair I fitted, the thinner return pipe had it's 90' bend in the wrong place, making it almost impossibe to push up into it's rubber pipe at the tank end and thus a bit short at the front end, so needed a bit cutting off.
If your car still has the fuel heater connected at the back of the engine, I'd take this opportunity to bypass it and fit a new rubber fuel pipe between you new metal pipe and the fuel filter.
They think it's all over, it is now!
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Replacing 1.9d fuel pipes

Post by themildbunch »

Yes, that's a very good idea, re the fuel heater - pretty easy with a good torch on a diesel... really not easy on a turbo diesel without pulling the engine forward after taking it off the mounts..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate