14 RE 150c Trouble with hot starting

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Re: 14 RE 150c Trouble with hot starting

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote:I doubt there is much wrong with the carb in fact. However my 150C engine got better CO content than yours something like 0.15% and one place kept telling me the engine would blow up - it never did!. My 1.6 is similar so 0.49 is something I would consider bad for a 150C!!!!
im sure citroen state the correct Co should be between 1.5 and 2.5, so this might be why your car takes quite a few seconds to fire up, it is running way to lean, which does usually over heat the combustion chamber

Tinkley wrote: The Haynes gives 33mm for Solex 30-30 Z2 CIT348 which should be your carb. I doubt it is out, however some tit had altered one of mine (1.6) to 40 when it should have been 33 and it failed on emissions - mainly because of this.
thats odd Mr Tinkley
if the float were set at 40mm from the lid instead of 33mm ( should be from the lid gasket!!! ) the float level would be to low

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
tranentbx
Confirmed BX'er

Post by tranentbx »

Again thanks Malcolm,

Silly question, can I adjust the mixture myself with out getting it totally wrong? Or would I need to pop it down the local garage so they can hook it up to the exhaust reader? The mechanic I go to said he'd fiddle about with the mixture for me as he too thought it was far too lean. (I just don't know what he means by fiddle about! Is it easy to do DIY?

Thanks
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

citronut wrote: im sure citroen state the correct Co should be between 1.5 and 2.5, so this might be why your car takes quite a few seconds to fire up, it is running way to lean, which does usually over heat the combustion chamber
Correct the Haynes and Citroen claim that Co content. I can only go by the recorded print out from the MOT station. Of course their equipment may have been faulty for 10+ years..... :wink:

citronut wrote: thats odd Mr Tinkley
if the float were set at 40mm from the lid instead of 33mm ( should be from the lid gasket!!! ) the float level would be to low

regards malcolm
The previous owner had managed to get an MOT with the car in that state! plus rock solid front spheres ie no gas left, so unwittingly I assumed the carb was OK. It ran OK, but it transpired that he had had a misfiring problem and someone had tinkered with the carb but the real problem was the ignition module. Unfortunately they left the carb in altered state, I was given a spring which turned out to be the choke lever (in auto choke) pull part. When that car failed I'm afraid I just swapped the entire carb with the one on my other car which I knew was good. After that I investigated further.....

The low float level did give a bit more two stage hiccup to the second choke working about 3.500 rpm in top.... :lol:

Leave it lean, if it's running OK why change it? By all means strip and clean and replace stuff especially rubber parts. Even the float may become porous but don't worry about that now. I think Citroen were very conservative in their Co content especially with a hot engine. Also note that the manual air filter intake on the 150 gives best economy on the summer (ete) setting. I only ever used that and the middle one in very cold winters.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote: I can only go by the recorded print out from the MOT station. Of course their equipment may have been faulty for 10+ years..... :wink:
MOT test station emissions machine's have to be regularly calibrated,
Tinkley wrote: Leave it lean, if it's running OK why change it? By all means strip and clean and replace stuff especially rubber parts. Even the float may become porous but don't worry about that now. I think Citroen were very conservative in their Co content especially with a hot engine.
if it is way to lean it can/will over time burn out the valves and possibly piston rings,

if the Co is set to manufacturers settings the car will run far better,
Tinkley wrote: Also note that the manual air filter intake on the 150 gives best economy on the summer (ete) setting. I only ever used that and the middle one in very cold winters.
the flap in the air intake is to partially or fully divert a hot/warm air supply from the exhaust manifold to the carb in colder conditions

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

citronut wrote:
MOT test station emissions machine's have to be regularly calibrated,
Which is why I put the smiley wink... :wink:
citronut wrote: if it is way to lean it can/will over time burn out the valves and possibly piston rings,

if the Co is set to manufacturers settings the car will run far better,
Never had any problem in those areas- 175k says it was not too bad..... :wink: Maybe I should fart about with the current 1.6 which has given 0.14 to 0.16 Co readings.....over the last 10 years?... :wink:
citronut wrote: the flap in the air intake is to partially or fully divert a hot/warm air supply from the exhaust manifold to the carb in colder conditions
Yes, exactly, but the most economy is to use cold dense air (even better with light moisture content) to extract the best burn ratio. Hence I would use a setting which would stall sometimes in the colder months in early miles from start but perfect when the engine was hot. However the manual says just set it as follows etc, not necessarily the best for economy, but more convenient for the average Joe!.