Rob's 1.4 BX

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
ragger
BXpert

Rob's 1.4 BX

Post by ragger »

Not having had a BX for a few years, I have been pretty quiet around here, but having joined a gym a couple of months ago (to look at me you'd never know) I have been wearing an ancient BX Club Tshirt and so had to get the car to go with the shirt...

And so

I have a new toy :D

This car has effectively only had two owners from new, the first kept it for two years, the second kept it until he stopped driving a couple of years ago when it was signed over to his son from whom I purchased the car. It has been very well maintained it would appear, including a cam belt change last year and very, very few miles ago. It has only done 48k and I think I have given it its longest run ever today, driving it home about 140 miles.

I know it is not perfect, but I think it is great and I am looking forward to giving it a really good clean and replacing the tacky wheel trims. The originals are in the boot (along with lots of other spares) but two have them have been brush painted. Anyone got any spares??

Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Rob's 1.4 BX

Post by Tim Leech »

Mark Pritchard of derby supplied car by the looks of it, and very lovely it is too! Well done.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
ragger
BXpert

Post by ragger »

Went to the DS launch day today at a local dealers and sat in a number of the new models. Found the DS5 impressive from the outside and I loved the look of the seats, but utterly hateful once I was in it - dark and claustrophobic. Not for me. Of the current models I looked at, it was the C1 I liked the best (and I do know the only Citroen bits are the badges). Sad really. But it was nice to give the BX another run out.

The very best bit of the day was being taken out in an absolutely immaculate 1955 Traction. Utterly superb, it wears its sixty years better than I do.
Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo
ragger
BXpert

Post by ragger »

Had a couple of problems with it since purchase, none of them too terrible.

The car came without a radio of any sorts so I have been trying to get one fitted and working. I can't seem to manage it! Everything seems to be wired up correctly according to the manual for the car and the radio but no power, so I am beginning to suspect the unit itself is no good despite being a new purchase.

I did allow the fuel level to get low at the end of last week (I can't recall from the previous one I owned if there is a low fuel warning lioght but if there is, it hadn't come on) and she developed running problems. It became very difficult to start and would run fine then misfire dreadfully making progress difficult to achieve. I have since filled up and the poor running seems to have evaporated. Like my XM this car has some delightful self healing properties. :)

I am still very impressed by the ride quality and the speed with which she jumps to attention. I have now got the original wheel trims sorted and ready to go back on, hopefully that will happen tomorrow and I shall put some more pictures up. Next thing is to try and get the dent in the rear door sorted.
Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Sounds like you have water in the fuel tank as this sits on the bottom and gets drawn in when the level is low. You can diagnose this by looking in the carb float chamber for water.
A dose of meths in the tank is a good cure as well as seeing where the water has got into the fuel filler line.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Jaba is most likely right, condensation in the fuel tank running through to the carb. Personally I'd strip and clean the carb to get any little 'bits' out the float bowl and jst ensure the passageways are clean. You may find the low level light is either a blown bulb (back of dash) or the sender not working. A meter should tell you if there is power to the sender and the radio too. I have had two BX which gave you 50 miles after the low level fuel and the current one gives you almost no miles (if level) so you may need to alter the sender height. It's in the fuel tank under the back seat, under a bit of circular cut out felt.

If you do remove the sender, inspect the inside of the tank with a torch for any gunge or dirt build up. If it is just water an emulsifier will let it combine with the fuel and run through the system with no harm. Very common to use an emulsifier on marine engines as their environment is a bit wetter..... :wink:
ragger
BXpert

Post by ragger »

Thanks for the comments folks. :-)
Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo