Woops, accident

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Crossbow
Confirmed BX'er

Woops, accident

Post by Crossbow »

I had an off road experience last night courtesy of a car coming the other way with badly adjusted, high intensity lights that completely blinded me and causing me to plough through and along a roadside hedge. It sounded dreadful and my first thought was that the car would be a write-off. But when I got home and looked at the damage in the clear light of dawn, it's not as bad as I thought. N/S front wing, front bumper and N/S front indicator. I drove it home, everything worked (including the indicator but the cover had gone). These cars are tougher than you might think.

So now I'm looking for these parts if anybody can help or point me in the right direction. It's a TZD Turbo, 1990 in Axonite grey. The colour is not so important although grey would be a bonus. It doesn't really have to be the same shade of grey as the car is already 50 shades of grey. I use this car everyday and although the paint is faded in places, the car is rust free and has only done 130K miles so I want to keep it in good shape. I actually have a 16 valve wing in grey in my garage but it's the wrong side, typical

I can collect if it's not too far and I live in Suffolk.

Regards

John
ragger
BXpert

Re: Woops, accident

Post by ragger »

Bad luck! Perhaps if cars weren't fitted with such bright lights, people would be more inclined to drive them at a safe speed.
Regards
Rob

BX 1.4
XM V6 Exclusive
Fiat Multipla
VW Polo
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Which is why there is proposed legislation and some limits to wattage - should be lumens and other measured data of 'brightness'.

Round me the lanes are often one car with passing places and if you know the roads well that is not too bad. However one can never legislate for others who think bigger and brighter is better......
A few years back I was lets say eased off the road to avoid a head on by a Qashqai so I know call them Squashquays..... :wink: Dented the middle sill but that is pretty minor compared to your own woes. At least quite a few of those parts are available. Google up replacement panels and s/h ones. Some new replacement parts are still available. Good luck getting it sorted.
kernowtim
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 estate
1999 ford focus 1.8TD

Post by kernowtim »

This car is presumably being broken for spares on ebay, no connection
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-BX-1- ... 41981c4e88
Chevronics had one in for breaking last time i was there as well, think it was grey, or blue!!
Crossbow
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Crossbow »

Thanks for all your help everyone. I've now sorted the parts from Rob Moss at Chevronics who was very helpful. He's got everything I need, in the wrong colour but supposedly good, so I'm going to drive over there and pick them up. It turns out that he was in my neck of the woods on holiday recently and saw me driving through Woodbridge (Suffolk) in my BX, small world. Maybe, with all these new panels it might be time to consider a respray and make mine really good but that is expensive so maybe will have to wait until later or until values for these cars go up. In the meantime the battleship continues to roll.

John

BX TZD Turbo - a bit battered, bruised and faded
Dyane 6 - Perfect in glowing rouge de rio
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

If headlights were polarized it would be possible to market 'dimming spectacles' that would favour filtering the polorised light. An effect like an automated welding lens. The trick is it would need to try several angles, as the driver of car one would be using one angle to benefit from his lights. Car two would thus need to have differing angle to benefit from his but cut out car one's dazzle - and so on. This technology is out there and ready to go. So why is it less important than inventing the inverted roof cup holder and other useless sales gimmicks. It joins the self defrosting windscreen as something that should be available now, and from about 15 years ago. An aid to driving safety the electric seat will never be.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars