1.9 N/A diesel cooling saga

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: 1.9 N/A diesel cooling saga

Post by Thread Bear »

240D would be a S123.123 or S123.125, I believe. However, without looking through my files I cannot remember the exact model it was. The Merc diesel series took a major step when it was changed to turbocharged units. Never owned one myself. I was BXing by then - TZD Rurbo Estate mostly. Cheaper, more room, lighter, comfier, felt faster, better front seat and significantly better MPG. By the time Merc could compete it had endless issues and was not a car I wanted to buy.

Sorry hijacking a thread, best stop now.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Phil Peters
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Phil Peters »

Thanks for all the responses and assistance on this one guys. I have since run the car again with the rad cap off and there are indeed a few bubbles in the coolant. Not a huge amount and certainly not as bad as others I have seen but obviously it's enough to cause problems.

Sadly all of this couldn't have come at a worse time as I had already arranged to get a long-term project car out of storage and I desperately need the garage space so with a heavy heart, I have to call "time" on my ownership of the BX.

In any other situation I would simply sort the head gasket out, job done and life would return to normal but unfortunately it's that old affliction of too many cars and not enough time. It's a real disappointment for me as the car runs very well in all other respects and has always been fastidiously maintained throughout its life. It's currently still MOT'd until December 2015 and as mentioned in another recent thread, it's just had a nice new thermostat and diesel priming pump over the last few weeks :evil:

Obviously the car is way too good to even consider scrapping so if there's anyone out there with more spare time than me who fancies a project, please drop me a PM to discuss. I'd like it to go to another BX enthusiast if possible. The car is located in Warwickshire CV8, not far from the Birmingham NEC.

A big thank you again to everyone who has given their help and advice recently. It's greatly appreciated, even if the eventual outcome wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

Cheers,

Phil

1992 BX19 TGD (aka Maurice), N/A diesel, silver with Zenith trim.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

That's a great shame.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Could you not stick some K seal in for now to keep it going until you have the time etc or even just run it as it is, I've heard of them run for years like this.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....