Rear wheel bearings

BX Tech talk
deltic
BXpert

Rear wheel bearings

Post by deltic »

One of the jobs to my BX post Challenge is rear wheel bearings. There seem to be plenty for sale in the usual places, however would I be correct in thinking that bearings for an ABS fitted car would be different to non-ABS bearings? Does anyone by any chance have a part number please? I have been reliably informed that early Xantia bearing are the same, but can often be found cheaper.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by Tinkley »

If they are like the front bearings, I believe the bearings themselves are the same but the hub is different for the ABS models. If you intend to change the hub as well as the bearings it becomes important, except that ABS hubs fit on non ABS cars too, at least on the fronts. Why should the rear ones be different?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by Jaba »

Usually the rear wheel bearings are renewed by fitting a new hub assembly and are usually sold as a hub either with or without ABS.

Technically it is possible to change the bearing only but it would be very difficult to get the outer race out of the hub as a DIY job. If you did succeed you would need a new seal and its deflector/protector/dust shield as well.

Second hand might be your best bet if new ones are NLA.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.