BXpert

Calling all valvers

Post by greendale65 »

Hello all, When starting up the revs a very high
after about a mile the tick over returns to
low which is what it should be when first
starting. Any idea what's causing this.
Black Valver. 8)
Last edited by greendale65 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Valver revs are high

Post by rutter123 »

Poss an air leak pre airflow meter, check all your breathers and air hoses etc for splits, best bet is to remove all of them and clean and carefully inspect each one, the smallest leak will cause high idle and lean mixture.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Re: Calling all valvers

Post by MULLEY »

I had an over revving issue on mine, sometimes after a bit of a drive the idle would come down a fair bit, but was still a bit high, turned out that there was a break in one of the wires which went to the afm. If its not that, it could be as per above, or the actual afm tracks inside the plastic bit on top, these can get dirty over time.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

MULLEY wrote:I had an over revving issue on mine, sometimes after a bit of a drive the idle would come down a fair bit, but was still a bit high, turned out that there was a break in one of the wires which went to the afm. If its not that, it could be as per above, or the actual afm tracks inside the plastic bit on top, these can get dirty over time.
Hi, What's the afm Sorry.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

AFM-airflow meter, the bit that sits atop the air filter.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

rutter123 wrote:AFM-airflow meter, the bit that sits atop the air filter.
Sorry you guys I should have known that
I went to delete me asking must have had to much
to drink just got back from a bbq.
:) :roll:
Toddman
BXpert

Post by Toddman »

rutter123 wrote:Poss an air leak pre airflow meter, check all your breathers and air hoses etc for splits, best bet is to remove all of them and clean and carefully inspect each one, the smallest leak will cause high idle and lean mixture.
I think you mean "post" AFM as pre AFM is literal the air filter and well air. Assuming we talk following the route taken by the air itself LOL!

I am a firm believer in keeping the breathers clean and well inspected especially with the original items and the idle control valve (ICV) likes a clean and light lube every now and then and make sue your butterfly is not sticking and the throttle position switch (TPS) is clicking away nicely when you move the butterfly.

The valvers that I have owned and used daily have never given any trouble idle wise my white one is so docile it makes me think it is broken LOL!

However the silver one I took over came to me with terrible air leaks post AFM and had been tinkered with a lot to try and fix the idle.
I sorted out the major issues and it idles well ow but when first started revs high for up to 30 seconds then settles nicely and tat is with me standing outside the car reaching through the window.

Been a long time since I studied the injection ssytem but if it was an old carb car with auto choke the fast idle until driven would be normal, I just can't remember the cold start set up on th evalver without looking at old docs.
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

Toddman wrote:
rutter123 wrote:Poss an air leak pre airflow meter, check all your breathers and air hoses etc for splits, best bet is to remove all of them and clean and carefully inspect each one, the smallest leak will cause high idle and lean mixture.
I think you mean "post" AFM as pre AFM is literal the air filter and well air. Assuming we talk following the route taken by the air itself LOL!

I am a firm believer in keeping the breathers clean and well inspected especially with the original items and the idle control valve (ICV) likes a clean and light lube every now and then and make sue your butterfly is not sticking and the throttle position switch (TPS) is clicking away nicely when you move the butterfly.

The valvers that I have owned and used daily have never given any trouble idle wise my white one is so docile it makes me think it is broken LOL!

However the silver one I took over came to me with terrible air leaks post AFM and had been tinkered with a lot to try and fix the idle.
I sorted out the major issues and it idles well ow but when first started revs high for up to 30 seconds then settles nicely and tat is with me standing outside the car reaching through the window.

Been a long time since I studied the injection ssytem but if it was an old carb car with auto choke the fast idle until driven would be normal, I just can't remember the cold start set up on th evalver without looking at old docs.
Hi, That's the next step will take of and clean
(icv) .
Thanks.