rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

How to set up front brake calipers/handbrake operation

Post by rutter123 »

One of the last jobs to complete the rebuild of the t/d is setting up the front brake calipers and new handbrake cables...i believe there is a procedure for getting it right so both sides bite evenly on the handbrake, previously i found i needed a lot more adjustment on 1 side than the other, is something to do with the initial position of the caliper pistons, any guidance appreciated. I have recon calipers with new discs new handbrake cables and bendix pads and fitting kits. Non ABS.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: How to set up front brake calipers/handbrake operation

Post by Defender110 »

Treat the foot brake and hand brake as 2 different independent systems (which they are) Once you have fitted your new pads and discs and the brakes are bled apply the foot brake hard down several times to adjust out the callipers equally before fitting the hand brake cables, once they are adjusted then fit the cables and adjust these separately to take out any slack so they have equal free play without them applying any working pressure to the operating arm when the hand brake is fully off. You will probably need to adjust the cables again when they have bedded in.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The above is sound, but I like to get the handbrake to take up automatically and you need to adjust the cable a little tighter than you might think, but it works fine. If it doesn't you won't be far out and a turn orso will bring itin, though pumping the brake (engine running) and hand brake cable together usually gets a 'tightening' so the car is within the 7 clicks the MOT testers so love.... :wink:
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Good advice thanx for that Def110 and Tink, dont think my handbrake has ever been within the 7 clicks but always ok come MOT time. Maybe all the new bits will bring it up to speed.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Once you're happy with the setting, put the wheels back on and apply the handbrake one notch at a time and try turning the wheel by hand or with a wheel brace. You may find one side is tighter than the other, so you can easily adjust.
I used to like them to lock up solid on 3 notches.
When you take it out on the road, you WILL find the brakes are crap and you'll need to stand on the pedal a few times to get your new discs and pads to bed in.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

When the handbrake cables are adjusted, you need to ensure that the quadrant arm where the two cables attach to the handbrake lever is evenly perpendicular to the longitudinal line of the car when handbrake is applied for good balance.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

I put up a post a while back about this but never got a satisfactory answer. (View my old posts if you are interested...). On the White One the handbrake goes up to the very top of its travel. It only passed the MOT yesterday because the tester is used to it! Yes, obviously any genuinely 'free' play should be adjusted out. But beyond that there is still a huge amount of movement on the levers to get the handbrake to come on at a satisfactory number of clicks. However, when I suggested the obvious which was to take up the remaining 'slack' until the brake came on where I wanted it to, I was told sternly that I must not do this. WHY???? Of course, you don't want the brake to bind or be on the edge of doing that; but surely lessening the lever travel is common sense, and indeed necessary, and with that amount of travel to take up there shouldn't be an issue with it getting anywhere near the binding stage. The idea of spinning each wheel in turn to check for problems seems like a good one to me. (PS, MOT now has 289,000 miles on it, we'll get to 300,000 this year).
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

whoever told you not to adjust the slack out of the cables is the guy you should be asking WHY.
I always used to put the handbrake on 3 clicks, then adjust the cables till the wheels locked and couldn't be turned by hand or with bar.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

That sounds a bit better Ken, I've been told 4 clicks.....at least at that, the pads should be definitely touching the disc(s). BTW this is the rationale behind the 1mm adjustment gap set in the Haynes etc etc.

The main reason it works is because the automatic take up from the hydraulic system correctly 'tightens' after due pad wear. No doubt every other car manufacturer has something superior now.... :lol:

If you still struggle to get it to take up, just press hard on the brake pedal )engine running and system pressurised) and work the handbrake lever. After a few good pumps on both, the slack should be gone. As MOT guys just go '7 clicks mate' it's not working, it's a fail. You leave garage (or not) do the pumping and return - It's alright now mate!.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

All done and pulling up fairly evenly at about 5 to 6 clicks, feels much more "positive" than before, took two attempts to get it right but happy with the end result.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Good, glad it's working OK. Only other thing to note is that the later hand brake cables have PTFE coated cables which do not freeze in position with ice in the winter, which the origianls do...... :lol: