Talking B____X

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: Talking B____X

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, next weekend it's The Chevrons Rally:

Hope to see lots of you there!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, the dust has settled since the Rally and work's been full on. It'll soon be time to give the BX a wash and polish and put it away for the winter... The Xantia's being pressed into service as our daily hack and the Rover.... that's going to be wafting us to France soon.

But before then I think I'll take some pics of the car while there's still sun this w/e....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The rush of blood to the head has largely subsided and Bob the BX is still with me. There has been much thinkage involved: Really, if I did replace it with a GS in good condition, much as the idea appeals, it'd get even less use than the BX and it's unlikely I'd want to do the next 'Challenge' (*must think of a new name!) in a GS no matter how much Mike Sims proved it possible!

I don't want to use the BX every day; I've got the Xantia (so long as it keeps working OK) for that: It's a good car - in many respects better than the BX - and is just that little bit more refined (air con helps). What's more it's got a new set of what are probably The Best General Purpose Tyres In The World so it'll be this winter's car of choice.

So time to consider what to do.

The preferred option would be to decide what the BX needs to make it even better. It'll spend most of it's time in the garage until the spring when I can get those bits done (including sun roof drain tubes, then I can fit my wind deflector :) ) and get it tarted up a bit in time for the summer. It's also still got a little LHM drippy somewhere which is far from concerning but I will get it looked at.

OR

I hold my hands up and say, in the Spring, it's time to sod practicality and get a GS in which case the BX would need to go. Only time will tell. And as the next Continental road trip is a couple of years off at least, it isn't really a factor I need to consider to be honest.

I do like my BX though.... If only I had more space. I suppose if push came to shove I could move the Xantia on, use the BX as my daily hack and put a GS/other project in the garage. Now there's something I hadn't thought about................... until now. :roll:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's been three months since I posted on this thread and I thought I'd just put up a quick 'Hello' to all those who are still faithfully following the Forum... (Which I joined over 10 years ago now!).

So much has happened in the world of the BX since that day in 2005... In fact quite a few BX's have passed through my hands; the legendary RLO, the mega-mile GTi auto (the only BX I've ever scrapped), 'ELF', three estates including 'The Green Hornet', a couple of 16v's, not to mention a green GTi that I really quite liked but somehow let go and lost touch with, a very low miles, showroom condition 16TGS auto that never really 'floated my boat'.... saved a couple too: including the 'Red Baron' - and then of course, my current steed. Then you have the odd ZX, Xantia, XM, Synergie and non-Citroens too.

Values have risen in line with it's recognition as a minor classic, lifting itself gloriously on its spheres out of the doldrums of bangerland. Not that I think one could retire on the proceeds of a BX restoring business!

The folks I've met and become friends with over the years is what's really made it special for me. As you all know what I lack in mechanical abilities I make up for in enthusiasm (I hope!) and the events I have been part of have really cemented the feeling of community: The 2007 BX Challenge (celebrating 25yrs of out favourite car) at the CC National was great; not sure we could get that many BX's in one place again in 2017, but it's worth a try. Then there was the 2009 BXagon Challenge - A mad idea that actually came about and despite its rough edges will always rank as one of the high points of the last 10 years. Of course other rallies, other Challenges and now, with 2016 in full swing, I have the X-Rally, CCC National and Chevrons rallies to look forward to. As well as a Conservatoire visit in October, by which time the Challenge 2017 will be in the latter stages of planning. Some might say I need to get a life. Well I have one. And all-in-all I'm quite happy :)

Thanks everyone :)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Nicely put Phil. A chance encounter one day whilst perusing eBay led me to so many adventures and new friends for life. How different things would have been if I hadn't developed 'bid fever' when my eyes fell upon the 16 Valve that fateful day. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Hello back ^^ ^^ ^^bx>
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ta! :) more news on my BX to come... Need to plan a few jobs on it, and will be getting some under-the-skin mods done.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

ELF still survives. Granted, it's tucked away and has been off the road for some time, but I still fire it up and drive it around the farm every so often. It needs a fair chunk of welding to make it good again, and since it was never a daily driver it'll remain on the back burner for a few years until the bus and the red one are restored. But I could never bring myself to scrap it. Every time I've thought "sod it, I'll never get round to it, time to call it a day with this one" I just can't. It's still a lovely car, and always starts on the button, even when left for months at a time..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nicely put Phil,

Like you I have been here since 2005 and have made some very good friends along the way, long may it continue.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Nice one Doc. :) one day ELF will emerge a prince among BXs - looks so regal in shiny black :)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Nice one Doc. :) one day ELF will emerge a prince among BXs - looks so regal in shiny black :)
I await eagerly the return of the Black Prince.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

don't be too eager, I have 4 major other projects in the queue before ELF, and some less major ones! But it'll fly again, in many ways it puts a bigger smile on my face than the 16v, and since my left ankle id pretty much useless these days having an autobox absolutely wins!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sounds like my dads Xantia, it waits, partly dismantled whilst other citroens come and go! But like elf it always starts but just doesn't run aswell as it should.

I've owned it over 10 years!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

ELF runs really well, it's just rotten in all the usual places... and the shell factory is low on decent stock!

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I do hope you get a chance to a least stop the rot and give it mechanicals a work out now and then - and next time I'm in your area I'll pop by and say hello :)