SOLD BX 16TGS Automatic (1991) for sale/ 2 new tyres £150

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
cacaolat
BXpert

SOLD BX 16TGS Automatic (1991) for sale/ 2 new tyres £150

Post by cacaolat »

After 9 years of BX ownership my BX has failed its MOT and I am offering it for sale.
I thought it would easily pass its Mot that's why I just had 2 brand new Pirelli P1 Cinturato Tyres fitted (front). At the back there are 2 Pirelli P4 Cinturato still very good.
The reasons for Mot failure are here:
both rear position lamps not working, (Probably just the lightbulbs)
Headlamp insecure (a bit wobbly but can be fixed)
Front offside brake hose damaged
Radius arm has excessive play in a pin/bush nearside rear

and now the last one which is rubbish (The Mot tester obviously wanted the car to fail)
Exhaust emits dense blue smoke at idle (This is not true and yesterday I started the car from cold and made a video of it. The smoke is not excessive at all and not blue.

Car could be saved as it drives very smoothly, no problems with engine. Full service history only 2 owners from new. No problem with automatic gearbox.
Also the battery is less than 2 years old and is a high powered Varta. Octopus small and large just fitted last year. Ihave only used the new original Citroen parts still available.
The interior is in a very good condition and even all the windows and the sunroof work very well.

Please see the photos, although this is the good side of the car. The other side has some light scratches . The exhaust is leaking somewhere and the rear bumper has a crack in the middle. The front bumper is a bit loose.
I think you are still allowed to drive the car to be repaired for a Mot re-test, so collection should be no problem. (I believe)

The price is ok since the car has a scrap value of £80 and the tyres which are only a few weeks old did cost £94.
The car is in London SE24

Last edited by cacaolat on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: BX 16TGS Automatic (1991) for sale scrap / 2 new tyres £

Post by Defender110 »

cacaolat wrote: and now the last one which is rubbish (The Mot tester obviuosly wanted the car to fail)
Exhaust emits dense blue smoke at idle (This is not true and yesterday I started the car from cold and made a video of it. The smoke is not excessive at all and not blue.
So he failed it on a visual without taking an emission reading?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If nobody jumps at this one, I'll take it. I'd only be doing it to fix it up, get the MoT and then find it a new home while putting any profits towards my kids surprise trip to Disney next year, so if anyone sees this and falls in love then I'm happy to step aside :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
nortonchase

Post by nortonchase »

Hi, what is your number?
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Hi Defender110
The Co measurement was 0.829 and the maximum limit would be 3.500
The HC measurement was 189 and the maximum limit would be 1200
Yes and the smoke level was just a visual fail
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Hi Kitch
yes I think it would be worth fixing up, I just have no time and garage to do this.
The car also has a Sony stereo with Aux in (for ipods or similar) but other than that it is as original as a car can get, no re spray ever all original

I forgot to mention that 2 years ago I had 2 brand new front brake calipers fitted
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

nortonchase I send you a private message
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Well like I say, I'm willing as long as I don't tread on anyone's feelings!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The mot tester sounds like a twit!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Yes Tim I regret that I went to this garage. There used to be 2 business partners and the other one was the nice guy but he left the business.
Potential buyers I forgot to mention the heating fan only works intermittent.
The bracket thet holds the exhaust at the very back has recently broken. I made a temproary clamp bracket, which seems very stong.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Kitch wrote:Well like I say, I'm willing as long as I don't tread on anyone's feelings!
Whoever comes first will get it
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Is the car actually MOT'd now? ie can it be driven for a few days or not?

I had some idiots try the same kind of trick(s) to fail one of my BXs' some years back. The issue they picked was some fluff on the seat belts - fail. I doubt the minute fluffing reduced the tensile strength by even 1% but to them it was a fail. I ended up putting in belts that had already done over 175k into a car with belts that had done 53k, nuff said...... :twisted:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Sadly there are those that seem to have a pet hate for certain cars, not least Citroen. I suspect some of this is down to being inadequate enough not to understand how the cars work, therefore they feel threatened. But if you are around long enough you will find a bent MOT guy.
One fav is that the fault found is allowed in the scope of the limited service of the host outfit - wipers, brakes, tyres, exhaust, and they make their extra uplift by supplying the required parts to gain the MOT. But I have had idiots who fail cars for 'faults' which are instrumental to the safe function of the car. Loose brake unions, on cable brake cars, and such. Of course having owned some bizarre machines, this is all the more likely. A disturbing trend is a refusal of younger testers to use a Tapley meter. I do not know if it has become a voluntary part of training, but some cars have to be tested by a Tapley meter if the station has a rolling road. Variomatics for instance.

This car sounds well worth rescuing, and its a sad day that you are having to pass it on.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you Thread bear
The Mot was Tuesday, from what i understood I can have a free re-test within 10 days and can drive it to be repaire.
So if someone very soon arranges a repair than it could be driven for this reason only.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Once it has failed MOT you can only drive it to a garage for repair AND to a pre-booked MOT test appointment. You cannot however continue to drive a defective car (MOT test fail) until it has been repaired even if it's current MOT certificate is still valid. A current test certificate does not allow continued use of a defective vehicle on a public road.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.