Spheres and ABS

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

Spheres and ABS

Post by andycadabra »

It's a 35% discount weekend at GSF, so I thought I'd treat myself to a set of new spheres. I have ABS and the rear spheres [40 bar pressure] they list as being for vehicles without ABS.
Also listed are some really cheap front ones [45 bar pressure] as being for vehicles with ABS, I looked into buying these a couple of weeks ago but they were not in stock anywhere and unavailable for home delivery, I presume that's still the case - I don't know why they bother to list them.
They also list some standard ones [55 bar pressure], with no mention of ABS.

The thing is I wasn't aware ABS was an issue when it came to spheres, and can't figure out why it should be.
Should I just get normal ones as I always have done in the past? and are there any options available to get a more comfy ride?
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
JayW
1K Away

Re: Spheres and ABS

Post by JayW »

AFAIK, these GSF weekends are only for "service" items. Unless they've changed it now.

ABS is NOT relevant to the spheres and the likelihood of those being the ACTUAL correct ones for your specific car or what's in the box is pretty slim. GSF were never good with hydraulic parts, even less so nowadays!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

ABS was only fitted to Turbo diesels, 8v 1.9GTi and 16v GTi's. So these higher performance cars were given a firmer ride, hence the different spheres. If you want a softer ride (the reason for buying a citroen in the first place) IMHO avoid ABS compatable spheres.
They think it's all over, it is now!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

JayW - it is actually 35% for this weekend. I bought 4 spheres for about £86 delivered. I hope they're ok.
Ken - thanks for clarifying the ABS issue.
It seems counter-intuitive that the firmer spheres are 40 bar, and the softer ones 55 bar.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It does indeed. It's down to the size of the hole in the valve really, bigger the hole, the more easily fluid passes through, the softer the ride.
They think it's all over, it is now!