no hydraulics!

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

no hydraulics!

Post by andycadabra »

After springing a leak in a pipe a week ago, I've done what appears to be a good repair using layers of epoxy steel and aluminium mesh. I had lost a lot of LHM from the leak, so decided it would be a good time to clean the filters and reservoir. Having done so, and adding new LHM, I started the engine and no action whatsoever from the hydraulic system, and the warning light showing in the dashboard.
I would add that I never touched the pressure release/ bleed valve on the accumulator, as I assumed I had no pressure left, also I read here that it wasn't necessary in order to clean the filters and reservoir tank.
After 20 years of BX's, never been in this position so not sure where to start.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: no hydraulics!

Post by Defender110 »

Undo the pressure release valve/bleed nut to bleed and prime the system. I once had to undo it all the way to kick start the hydraulics after a system clean.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks for the quick reply Kevan!. Will try that
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You might have to prime the pump with fluid by removing it's feed pipe from the res, filling the pipe direct from the bottle the very quickly stick it back on where it belongs. You might also try this with the pressure screw done tight and/or unscrewed.
If all else fails, go in house have a beer and watch a film, probably be ok the following day as the air in the system will have purged itself.
They think it's all over, it is now!
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

the good news is that worked, letting it takeover with the valve open, then closing it and running it again. the bad news is the repair gave way :( . it's the pipe that runs between the pressure regulator and the security valve with the weird spring thing in the middle. I have a 16 TRS for spares, and I've just had to buy a low profile trolley jack (80mm). Hopefully it's got the same part, if I can't think of a better repair method.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

only just saw your post. Ken, Some good tips there, including the beer and film ones. Was supposed to be driving to see the girlfriend tonight, who can't understand why I don't drive a sensible reliable modern car, so things are decidedly rocky..
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tell her it makes no difference, if you drive a "sensible" modern car, you still wouldn't have got there till monday or tuesday as the garage wouldn't be open till Monday morning and then by Tuesday you'd have no money left anyway :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

If the leak is on the high pressure piping you may have up to 2,600 psi - an epoxy (wrap mesh, glass whatever) simply will not hold. You might get a way with a brazed steel sleeve or even silver soldered.

Anyway a new pipe is definitely the safest and best option. No big deal to change, my guess is the old one may have been dinged by a spanner or something and rust has eaten in under the black coating giving a nasty pinhole.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

The weird spring thing is there to soak up vibration and allow movement of the engine, when ordering a new one it must be the same length as the o/e fitment. Plaedies can supply them made up to length.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability