Replacing front/back LHM pipes - how much time does it take?

BX Tech talk
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: Replacing front/back LHM pipes - how much time does it t

Post by Thread Bear »

ken newbold wrote:
tim wrote:Hi. I've done this on both our TXD estates. Not difficult.. but surely the cluster of four you refer to is the feed side?
The bottom of the four pipes is a return, it's a metal one due to the length of the run and sometimes passes quite a lot of fluid. I once tried to repair this with a rubber piece jointed in, it's funny now but not at the time.
Started the engine and allowed the sytem to pressurise, the rubber joint blew up like a balloon and went BANG! fuid everywhere. :lol:

If you follow the pipe forward, you'll see it joins onto a rubber piece on the front crossmember just below drivers feet, ish, the rubber then goes up and into the reservior.
Is that the one with the ball bearing valve atop the reserve pan?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Good question! I don't know, not had BXs here for a few years now so nowt to check with.
They think it's all over, it is now!
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

Good grief, I can't believe I've let the old girl stand around gently leak for 6 weeks.

Partly this has been down to a confusion, echoed above about whether the pipe was a metal (implying high pressure) or low pressure (implying return flow) one. The leak is definitely from a metal pipe, and I guess it's a pinhole caused by rust breakthrough. However, unlike very slow LHM leaks from other places, this one, though not in the "catastrophic" category like a plastic pipe split or a union failure, is big enough to require fixing. So I now have a set of cupronickel replacements from Pleiades to be going on with. I can see the job would take about a day with all the bending and manoevring into shape required, plus maybe brake bleeding, for someone who knows what they're doing (longer for me, if it's a first time job).

We can clarify the nature of these hard front/back pipes, as Pleiades have labelled them (presumably to assist mechanics who have never seen a BX before):

1. NBXP1 Rear suspension 4 way union to brake valve pipes
2. NBXP2 Return pipe from rear height corrector
3. NBXP3 Rear height corrector to priority valve
4. NBXP4 Feed to rear brakes

So, #2 is a rigid pipe which carries a return flow. The equation hard pipe/soft pipe = out/return is wrong. But we've seen evidence of this elsewhere: what does the flexible return from the front suspension attach to? why, a piece of hard pipe, of course. We all knew that anyway, didn't we, as we've replaced enough of those blighters (well, I have) :)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Not really sure what you're asking here.

#2 is the rear h/c return. Should only have a union nut on one end, the other end is a push fit into rubber on the front subframe.
The front returns are connected via the octopus.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Only high pressure pinhole I've ever had meant no suspension...... for a mile or so while I limped home..... :wink:
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

ken newbold wrote:#2 is the rear h/c return. Should only have a union nut on one end, the other end is a push fit into rubber on the front subframe.
I've just looked at what Pleiades sent and, by golly, the man's right.
Tinkley wrote:Only high pressure pinhole I've ever had meant no suspension...... for a mile or so while I limped home..... :wink:
Which again points to the leak being in #2 - I'll know when I take her the 10 miles in to get fixed ;). I've never driven a BX on no suspension; I guess the only way is slowly. No, if she decides to drop the lot, I'll have her recovered.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

If you ever hear the pressure valve ticking like crazy, it is most likely one of two things. 1. A burst high pressure pipe. 2. Instant blow out of a tyre.

I've had both.... :wink: and survived fine!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

When you lose fluid,

Power steering goes off, then suspension, then brakes. :?
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

I have a pinhole leak from a high-pressure pipe that passes under the engine from the pressure regulator to the security valve, I think.
I've only managed to trace it going to the rear of the engine where it turns into a weird coil (about 10 cm diameter) thing, which may serve some purpose or may just be excess pipe?.
Anyway, a repair with layers of 'epoxy steel' and aluminium mesh didn't last very long, to say the least, so looking into replacing the pipe. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Pleiades sell lengths of pipe at £100 each, by googling I found this place who seem to be offering them much cheaper, at around £6 a metre, with 'suitably flared ends, unions and seals where applicable'.

http://www.eurocarcare.net/brake-hoses/ ... -made.html#

if I get some of this will I have to recreate the coil pattern? is the pipe easily bent?, and should I factor in the length of the coiled part? Common sense tells me that the pipe should just connect points A and B, but maybe the coil is some kind of cooling system for the fluid?
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This isn't the standard 3.5mm pipe.

One of the pipes goes to the steering pinion valve, bit of a bugger to get at at the pinion end. I can't remember where the other goes, but you're probably right and it's to the security valve.

These pipes were available readily made with the coils in place, they should also be bolted to the front of the subframe. The coils are there to allow the engine to rock without cracking the pipe.
Mk1 BX's had them at the front of the engine and MK2's are the rear, last ones I bought were about £12 each.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

This isn't the standard 3.5mm pipe
I presume you're referring to my pipe rather than the one they're selling?
£12 was a very good price, presumably from Citroen. how recently was that?. Do you think I stand a chance?

thanks for explaining the coils - makes perfect sense now. The point where it burst is where another pipe had been crossing it and touching it. Add in engine movement, vibration and trapped moisture, and it's a perfect storm.
it'd be a good idea for anyone to check their pipe runs for corrosion and giving them with a good rust treatment, as well as points of contact with crossing pipes.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It's quite a while ago, try Malcolm Lockwood 01274 640590
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

thanks Ken - Martin Lockwood was unable to help. He told me that they'd stopped making these years ago.
I tried the local Citroen dealership. They couldn't help, but gave me the number of Citroen West in Chiswick, where the guy was very helpful and emailed me some diagrams so I could pick the right one, (number 4, it seems). Not in stock but can be ordered from France, and £45 Inc VAT. I asked if it would be possible to pick it up from the local dealership, and he generously suggested that the sale could be transferred to them, so I could.
I'll try and speak to a couple of metalworkers tomorrow to see how confident they are about fixing it, because I'd get the car on the road sooner, but if I get it off and there is much corrosion, I'll go for a replacement.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

That's a 4,5mm pipe? Or 6mm? I dont remember as I have not had trouble with it, but if it's a 4,5mm you just go to any parts shop and ask a Xantia brake pipe from ABS-pump to rear junction. It's around 4 meters long, so you probably have to make the coil a little bit bigger but you can get the car on the road.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Replacing front/back LHM pipes - how much time does it take?

Post by ken newbold »

A mate of mine says he defo has one of these pipes already off the car. He will confirm this at the weekend, let me know if you still want one.