Brake pipe aftermarket problem beware if replacing

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Brake pipe aftermarket problem beware if replacing

Post by Tinkley »

Fun today, replaced a front brake flexy, no problem, old one off sweetly. Fit new one but can't get a good seal on the caliper end. Turns out it is a Moprod part and they seem to have used a fractionally different thread!
Nice, so who is liable, me for fitting a 'correct' part, the reseller or the manufacturer?
The caliper will need helicoiling or replacing. No big deal but why should I pay?

I've done at least 5 flexys before now and never had a problem. How can a manufacturer cock up such a part?
I'd guess it is far eastern jobby though the hose iytself says Hutchinson, but they are most likely global.

Alternatively would you trust the thread that is left if I just put in a proper correct pipe? without repairing the caliper?
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Brake pipe aftermarket problem beware if replacing

Post by rutter123 »

Done same years ago ended up binning the caliper, but then bx's were easy found in scrap yards, and calipers were a tenner.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If the dodgy thread version went in easily then chances are it's slightly smaller, which may not have done too much damage. You could try a normal hose and put a put of weight on it. If it slips, heli-coil caliper (or replace!)

Impossible to say really, as only you know how it felt when it went in.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It went in easily enough unfortunately but after a couple of hand turns ensuring it was square, it needed light spannering and it stayed that way until it started to 'grip'. It was the fluid spurting out all over the place in the wheel arch, over the strut gaiter etc that gave the game away! Trouble was the spanner pressure was pretty light so you never felt you were overcoming anything except perhaps loght dimensional difference from plating not a different pitch. On removal the two pipes were compared and you can visibly see it has an incorrect pitch, I'd guess 1.25 instead of 1, pity it was not 1.5 as that would have been very evident. Also I know this particular pipe o/s has been replaced several times despite low mileage, it should only have been done once perhaps twice. Possible the same thing had been done before, who knows?

The end details also are different slightly so whoever copied it did not do a very good job full stop.

I think I'll swap it over to another caliper at least for now. BTW it seems in good nick (otherwise) with the deflector intact.... :wink:

Until I get the replacement, I've lodged the old pipe in situ to keep everything clean.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Unfortunately the scabby replacement pipe has knackered the caliper, zero chance of seal even though you can get a good pipe to go tight.
So moral is buy nothing from Quinton Hazell or any company they own.
Fortunately I had another caliper on my old Athena which will be pressed into service, though it has'nt worked for 5 years so we shall cross fingers. Interesting taking the pads out on the one being fixed, I've always put the 'pip' of the pads into the grooves on the piston but whoever did these ones omitted that little detail.... :evil: