8v GTi resto project - free

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
djoptix
BXpert

8v GTi resto project - free

Post by djoptix »

Well, heavy heart needs must etc.

To be fair I bought this car intending to turn it round fairly quickly and move it on; if I managed it I would entertain the idea of doing the same with the two 16vs I have. I haven't got anywhere near as far as I should with the 8v and frankly it's bad for my mental state to have these cars hanging around if I can't make decent progress with them.

I paid £180 for this one but am offering it for free. The catch is that I've got some way with chopping out the rot, but nowhere with welding fresh metal back in, so this will need to be done. The other main issue, and to be honest what really took the motivation out of it for me, is that although it was meant to be leak-free, it actually had a hole in the fuel tank. I've repaired this with JB Weld and it looks solid but I don't know if I'd trust it long term, and I don't have enough emotional investment in the car to go to the trouble of swapping the fuel tank.

To get it back on the road it will need:

* tyres; though the ones on it have good tread, they are perished from the sun
* welding mainly in the rear corner, but also to the inner front wings (they're not actually that bad)
* general recommissioning stuff - discs and pads etc.
* probably more stuff I've forgotten

It will come with:

* its steel wheels with 6 x gti trims in various states of repair, enough there to repaint a decent set I think.
* a stainless downpipe (adapted from a 16v one so I've never fitted it, but have no reason to think it won't fit) - the downpipe it came with had a blow
* there are various spares that I bought for it, I suppose I'll probably hold on to any that will be good for a 16v but there will be others that are 8v specific.

Obviously one would like to think it won't get scrapped, but it does have 173k on the clock so I have to be realistic - plenty of spares there if this is what you wanted to do with it.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
djoptix
BXpert

Re: 8v GTi resto project - free

Post by djoptix »

FFS, I've put this in the wrong section. Could a mod move it to for sale/wanted please?
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...