Should my valver have two fans?

BX Tech talk
peterwight
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Audi A4 Quattro (1998)

Should my valver have two fans?

Post by peterwight »

Getting advice about the switch that activates the engine's cooling fan today, it was pointed out to me that the car has a frame for two fans. It (16valve) contains one fan. Is this daft question:ought there to be two?
I've owned a BX GTI in the past thar did have two. It had air~con and I assumed it was that which required the second fan.
A BX fan since buying a 1983 1.6 in 1987 and subsequently a 1.9GTi, three 16valvers and a diesel Meteor. Their deaths have us done parted, save for one 16V sold for restoration, hopefully underway.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Should my valver have two fans?

Post by Kitch »

Single fan is normal. Second for A/C as you rightly guessed.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

My t/d has twin fans but no aircon but it seems only 1 cuts in under normal sitting in traffic conditions, i believe the 2nd fan cuts in under heavy load conditions i.e towing, i have the 1st fan set to come in at 88 degrees at what temp should the 2nd cut in or should they both come on together?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

rutter123 wrote:My t/d has twin fans but no aircon but it seems only 1 cuts in under normal sitting in traffic conditions, i believe the 2nd fan cuts in under heavy load conditions i.e towing, I have the 1st fan set to come in at 88 degrees at what temp should the 2nd cut in or should they both come on together?
If it has the standard setup then both fans should run either at low or high speed. They are connected in series at low speed and then switched to direct/parallel using a system of 4 relays for high speed.
On petrol BXs if fuse 4 is blown then there will be no low speed running and only one fan will run at high speed when the temperature is high enough.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Jaba wrote:
rutter123 wrote: On petrol BXs if fuse 4 is blown then there will be no low speed running and only one fan will run at high speed when the temperature is high enough.
Only on twin fan petrols.......well, not on my 1.4 or 1.6s'....... :wink: or maybe I should be looking for the second ones.... :wink:
The fan won't turn if the bearings on it are seized either. as I've found out!. At least Fuse 4 seems THE dedicated cooling circuit one.
greendale65
BXpert

Post by greendale65 »

Hello, My Valver has two fans it has air con that don't work
it seems air con two fans.
west bay Valver.